Moving courses between moodle sites

Moving courses between moodle sites

by Jim King -
Number of replies: 9

How do I move a course from one moodle server to another?  I would like to create a course on a local computer with moodle running on the local host then move the completed course to a moodle site on the web.

Thank you for your help.

Jim King

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jim King

Re: Moving courses between moodle sites

by Marc Dastous -

On your local machine, go into the course as the Teacher/Administrator and create a complete backup of your course.

Click on the file to save it to your desktop.

Upload the backup into your production server's files folder

Restore it as a new course.

Marc

In reply to Marc Dastous

by colin melville -
I tried this with a new install of Moodle 1.4.1. Everything seemed to go swimmingly, but the links do not work in the course. Any ideas? thoughtful

Colin
In reply to colin melville

by Jeff Wood -

I had this issue too.  Some of the links look to the previous install.  If you added files via the "link" icon on the html editor you should be ok. 

Absolute links - may need to be edited by hand.

Jeff

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Jeff Wood

by colin melville -
Thanks Jeff. Most of my links have been added using absolute addresses as resources. Does that mean these all need updating? This would be a severe pain in the neck! sad

Colin

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Colin,

backup and restore should transform automatically near every link in your courses if they are Moodle links (i.e. absolute and using the file.php script). Relative links don't need transformations.

Can you write some example of link not being transformed and the exact place where you have typed it?

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by colin melville -
Thanks for getting back to me Eloy.

It seems to apply to all links that have been added as resources. For example, in the original course a resource was created, weblink to http://www.rcpch.ac.uk This worked fine in the original course, which I backed up as a cron job to a .zip file. This was then restored as a new course to a different moodle site. Everything looked superficially fine. Only when the link to the resource is clicked the user is directed to "...moodle1/mod/resource/view.php?id=106" or whatever a blank page is shown.

When I checked the moodle mysql db for the new install all the resources are present, though, I think, with different id numbers. I presume the problem lies in this misdirection somewhere?

Colin

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi Colin,

sorry but I need a bit more info to simulate it...

When you say that you have created a "weblink" to http://www.rcpch.ac.uk are you saying that you've created a "link to a file or web" resource or that, inside a "compose text page or web page" resource you've inserted such URL?

What Moodle versions are you using (original site and destination site)?

And the best option, can you send me (privately) your backup file? It would be perfect to see your problem in action.

TIA and ciao smile
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

by colin melville -
Eloy,

I used "link to a file or web resource", then added the url and set the pop-up window features.

The original site was created using 1.2, updated to 1.3.3 then 1.4.1. Upgrades were done using Fantastico. The new site uses 1.4.1 from the start.

I'll send you an example course directly to you via email.

Colin

Hi Colin,

I've tried your course in my test server and everything seems to work fine.
  1. I'm able to see your course main page (with all your activities and images).
  2. When I press over, said, "Guide to Stafford", a new popup is opened, the url invoked is something like "http://myhost/moodle_14/mod/resource/view.php?id=11" and, immediately, it's changed to "http://www.city-visitor.com/stafford/index.html" (using a refreshing technique).

So, I'm not able to detect your problem. All the INTERNAL links in your course (mainly images) are automatically changed to work in their new server and EXTERNAL links are unmodified at all. Perhaps you are seeing that blank pages due to any problem in your browser?

Ciao smile