Confirmation emails received twice

Confirmation emails received twice

by Sandrine Nayrac -
Number of replies: 4

Hello,

I am facing an issue with the course booking confirmation emails: the attendees receive 2 emails with the same content:

- one with an empty attachment (I was wondering whether it was the iCal file, which I did not plan to use, if so, how can I remove it ?)

- Second email without attachement.

The third party email adress receives only one email, without attachement.

Can anybody help ?

Thanks,

Sandrine

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sandrine Nayrac

Re: Confirmation emails received twice

by Amir Elion -
This happens for us a s well - using Outlook/ MS Exchange. See this partial solution (only works for face-to-face with single day sessions):
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=127703
In reply to Amir Elion

by Mary Hetherington -

I'm having this problem too and I'd really appreciate some help.

I've established that this only happens when I select a Notification Type of "Email Notification and iCalendar Appointment".  If I select one of the other two options I only get one email - but it's always an email; it never has a calendar appointment attached.

I tried adding the script in the link to the partial solution, but then the attachment was just a message with the word "ical" in the Subjet line.

Any ideas on where I can start looking to resolve this?  I'd appreciate suggestions.  And I'd really, really appreciate someone just saying "do this" and magically fixing the problem!

Mary

In reply to Mary Hetherington

by Mary Hetherington -

So in case anyone is interested I cheated.  I went into mod\facetoface\signup.html and removed the code around line 127 that referred to the 'notificationboth' value. 

So now my Notification Type drop-down field only has "Email" and "Email with Calendar Notification" (I also changed the wording for the available options).

In reply to Mary Hetherington

by Brad Murphy -
Hi All .. in-case anyone is interested (moodle 1.9.7):
I also noticed the same thing, however, I'm not sure I agree that you cheated (Mary) smile. I think it's a perfectly reasonable modification. When I investigated I found two ways to resolve the issue.

Method 1a) Modify the mod/facetoface/signup.html file by removing the select box option with MDL_F2F_BOTH as the value.
1b) Edit the mod/facetoface/lang/en_utf8/facetoface.php file so that 'notificationemail' reads 'Email Notification' and 'notificationical' reads 'Email Notification with iCalendar Attachment'

Method 2)a) Modify the mod/facetoface/lib.php file. Line 1616 has an "if" statement that sends an email if the student wanted the ical attachment. Line 1628 has an "if" statement that sends an email if the student wanted an email. These statements are not associated with one another, therefore they run independently. The student would only receive one email if the second "if" statement was an "else if" statement. In that case it would only send out the email without the attachment if the email with the attachment wasn't sent.

I think the first method is the best (which is Mary's method). The default "iCalendar Appointment only" is misleading since it sends the ical file as an email anyway, so having the three options doesn't make sense to me (unless someone changes the ical option to prompt the student to download it instead of sending via email).