Connecting the Moodle Gradebook to Second Life

Connecting the Moodle Gradebook to Second Life

by Paul 'Fire' Preibisch -
Number of replies: 1
Hi everyone, my name is Paul Preibisch and I am a research assistant for the SLOODLE.org project.

Recently I have created a Points System for Second Life, a virtual world platform for educators -

Now I know you've all probably heard a lot of unsavory reports about how Second Life is used in negative ways, but it also has a bright side - and that is as a platform for virtual world education!

Anyhow, My points system filters points earned in the Virtual world directly into the gradebook - so, virtual tasks can be assigned to your students in 3d, and those tasks actually count for points towards their final grade.

If you'd like to see how "The Sloodle Awards System" works, you can view a machinima I made here:

Please let me know what you think!

PS - you can download SLOODLE here - Thanks!here: http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/sl/index.php/Download_Sloodle its totally free, and open source.

The wiki entry for my Sloodle Awards system is here:
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/sl/index.php/Sloodle_Awards_System

Bye for now!
In reply to Paul 'Fire' Preibisch

Re: Connecting the Moodle Gradebook to Second Life

by Mike McKay -
This system is a real breakthrough for virtual world education. It now means we can assess students within a virtual world without having to go to a website. Below is a photo of one of our Cypris CHat group members using the SLOODLE quiz chair. The questions come to them in a private chat. If they answer correctly the chair makes a sound and moves up. If they get it wrong it moves down. But the best feature is being able to see your score on the points board and having it be logged as an activity in Moodle. Students can take quizzes interactively in such an immersive environment.

SLOODLE Quiz Chair and Awards System
You are welcome to come to Cypris Village in Second Life and experience the chair for yourself. IM Professor Merryman for more information.