Moodle vs Studywiz

Moodle vs Studywiz

by Craig Cleator -
Number of replies: 5
Hi there,

I have been a Moodle user for four years and have arrived to teach at a school that have just purchased Studywiz. They are not all that keen on someone continuing to use Moodle whilst the rest of the staff use Studeywiz. For my part I am worried that what I have been doing and already have done is gone for nothing. Is there a way to link or connect Moodle with a school's Studywiz without losing the integrity and functionality that I am used to with my current Moodle site?

Cheers
Craig Cleator
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Craig Cleator

Re: Moodle vs Studywiz

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Well, if it were me (but I keep getting told off for doing covert stuff) I'd just set up my own Moodle and make a hyperlink to it from my Studywiz pages... but that's not what you wanted to hear, is it? I suppose this is where those people who generate all their stuff with SCORM would be laughing as they could just transfer it over.
In reply to Craig Cleator

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I don't know anything about Studywiz. I just wanted to say that you have not lost everything you have done in the past. Presumably you learnt a lot about using VLEs, and using web site to teach, and will be able to get up to speed with Studywiz pretty quickly, even if it is not as good as Moodle wink

We (those of us who spend all our day thinking about Moodle and educational technology) have to remember that the most important parts of the whole system are the teachers and the pupils. Good tools can help, but the quality of the tool is less important that the quality of the workman.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Rodgers -
Tim, you ethereal higher being you! I will add my 2 cents.

After using Moodle for 5 or so years, and watching student interactions carefully, I built a pedagogical repertoire in Moodle that seemed to work quite well. Our province developed an elearning strategy and rolled out a proprietary system as well as courses to go with it.

I was given two courses to teach with the system last semester, and discovered only 2 students made it through the same courses in the previous semester. The teachers were extremely discouraged by the experience. These are terrible, terrible courses.

I have noticed that people become radically dedicated to their LMS's (Tim excepted), so I didn't want to be the bitter moodle guy. I did my best in the run up to the start of the course to find ways to use the system, but in the end, the activity modules in moodle just had too many subtle but important features. I did what Mary suggested, and just linked through. The success rate was phenomenal.

I don't know if I ultimately would have found similar successful combinations of activities and features in the other LMS if I had 5 years to experiment. Maybe. But I do know that no matter what the quality of the workman, he will do much better chopping down a forest with an axe rather than a herring.
In reply to John Rodgers

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
No, I am another "radically dedicated" Moodler too. (I am a full-time developer working on Moodle.) I was just trying to be broadminded.

I do like it when people say that Moodle is better than anything else, but I don't like to say that myself because I have never used anything myself, and indeed, I only occasionally use Moodle for real when I study an Open University course.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by John Rodgers -
I was just teasing you a bit. Fantastic job on the quiz module by the way.