Contributed block: Search books...

Contributed block: Search books...

by Eloy Lafuente (stronk7) -
Number of replies: 18
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi all,

fyi, some minutes ago I've sent to contrib one simple block that enables searching over all the books in a course, providing links to the matching chapters.

You can find it here: http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=2627

Enjoy and ciao smile
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Eloy Lafuente (stronk7)

Re: Contributed block: Search books...

by Maryel Mendiola -
Hi Eloy smile

this new block is going to be very very useful

Isn't Book going to be included with standards modules at Moodle 2000?

it would be Awesome!!! because many of us always use Book module (and your Youtube video book too tongueout )

Big Moodle Birthday Hugs to Knight in Shining Armor

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
Hello Eloy,
thanks for the great tool; I´m working with a lot of books in my courses; it works well in the role of admin but not as a student. Is there a problem with roles?
Tks
Joachim

In reply to Joachim Vogelgesang

Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Hi again Joachim,

as commented in CONTRIB-1519 it seems that everything is working ok, both for teachers and students. I only can imagine you are using an old version of the book where some capabilities used by the block are missing.

Can you update your book module to see if that solves the problem? I'm running here book version 2008081402 and students are able to search (and find) ok.

Ciao smile

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
¡Hola!
tks for your answer; In fact, I still use an older version of the book. I have just updated to the new version of book but it caused errors:
  • all content appears justifying right!
  • each table of contents is now left side down, e.g. all seams mirror-inverted.
As I have lots of informations in about 20 books ore more, I thinks it might be better staying with my "old" books ... unfortunately without searching books traurig
Saludos desde Alemania, Joachim

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
few moments later:

after implanting again the old book module: "downgrad not possible ..." claro, but the "old books" are working well again; I compared the version: 2008081402!!! despite old book module and rebooting the engine! and now your "search book" works too, both admin and student; incredible or mystical ...überraschtlächelnd
buenas noches

Well, that has one explanation: Your upgrade to "newer" book installed the book capabilities used by the block.

When you downgraded it (option that isn't recommended at all!), those capabilities continue being there, so the block continues working, although the "older" book doesn't know/use anything about them.

So, you can consider yourself as a lucky (really lucky) guy if the older module continues working after having performed one downgrade. Please don't do that ever!

Correct approach should be to:

1) install/upgrade new version in test server
2) test, test, test
3) if everything is ok, upgrade real (production) server
4) if there are problems, report them in the Tracker.

but, never (and I repeat, never!) try do downgrade to older versions of Moodle plugins!

Ciao smile

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
Olá Eloy,

tks. for answer.

It is a test server: localhost MAMP with 1 double at ext. HDD and 1 double on another Mac. Nothing could go wrong. I still have the older versions.

But nevertheless I would like working with the newer book with searching function.

Joachim

by Joachim Vogelgesang -
All is going right now - by manipulation of version.php from book. cool (Tks. to Ralf Hilgenstock from the German community!)

Joachim

by Nadhir Silver -
can the search be specific to the books title instead of the keyword in them?

by Joachim Vogelgesang -

To repair norecordsfound with square brackets the following line of ‘search_books.php’ 
print_simple_box(get_string("norecordsfound","block_search_glossaries"),'CENTER');
should be exchanged by
print_simple_box(get_string("norecordsfound","block_search_books"),'CENTER');

by M. V.W. -

Does this plugin work with Moodle 2.1?  I've placed the search_books folder inside blocks, but when I click Notifications, it doesn't register that it is there, and the search books block isn't available.

In reply to M. V.W.

Hi,

you can find one preliminary working version of the block @ https://github.com/stronk7/moodle-block_search_books

(just pick the desired branch and click in the download button)

Note it's not polished nor following all 2.x standards at all but basically works as it did in 1.x, with all its features and limitations.

Once it gets finished, will be added to the new Plugins database. In the mean time you can report any bug / idea in the Tracker.

Hope it helps, ciao smile

by M. V.W. -

Thank you!  Works absolutely perfectly!

by Zabelle Motte -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers

Hello,

What are the news of this plugin that does not seem to be in the official plugin database ?

Thanks in advance,

Zabelle

In reply to Zabelle Motte

by Sarah Cotton -

I installed the moodle_21_stable branch in Moodle 2.8.5 yesterday for testing on our dev server; it worked just fine and I didn't notice any errors thrown.

The only thing I needed to do was add in an extra course format to the array in block_search_books.php as we have some different course formats.