Anonymous Teacher Grading

Anonymous Teacher Grading

by Vernellia Randall -
Number of replies: 5
Is there anyway I can do anonymous teacher grading? My law school , like most law schools, require anonymous grading where practical.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Vernellia Randall

Re: Anonymous Teacher Grading

by Stuart Mealor -
Hi Vernellia

Well, I would think anonymous Teacher grading could also be problematic - because if I felt, as a Student the marks were harsh, I would hope the institution could follow-up with my grader!

That point aside, when you Grade something in Moodle obviously you are performing that action as a Teacher in the Course.

The only way I can think of is if you created a new user who's name is "Fred Flintstone" (or other obvious non-real person!) and assigned them the Role of Non-editing Teacher. A Non-editing Teacher can mark assignments, but not change course content and materials.

The "Fred Flintstone" account could be used by any number of teachers who know the password specifically for grading.

...maybe I thought of this wrong? ... and you mean 'can you as the Teacher grade Assignments without seeing the users name' ?

Stuart
In reply to Stuart Mealor

by Vernellia Randall -
Yes, can I as a teacher grade assignments without seeing the user's name - like the students - but all the assignments. Even a non-editing teacher sees the name.

It is standard practice in all United States law schools to require the grading of examinations anonymously; To make this more useable for the US law school environment, we need a "hide names from teacher" option.
In reply to Vernellia Randall

by David Mudrák -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
In 2.0, there are two capabilities that control the anonymity modes. See http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=127493#p560697 for a short explanation of them. In your case, your admin will probably override the Teacher role, preventing the capability mod/workshop:viewauthornames from teachers.
Note that the information about who was graded by whom is still stored in the database and if teacher-hackers really wants, they will be able to get know the authorship (by analyzing the course activity logs, for example).
In reply to David Mudrák

by Vernellia Randall -
Thanks. Ours is a crazy system, that is once the "exams" are graded. . . the names can be made available to teacher. It is knowing the names during the grading process that schools find important