Dynamic IP Issues? (port 25 blocked)

Dynamic IP Issues? (port 25 blocked)

by Stu Parker -
Number of replies: 5
Hi all, this is my first post!

I am a student and have setup Moodle (partially...) on my home machine. I am running it in on Mac OS 10.3 via a "home" ADSL account. I have a dynamic dns account (.dyndns.org) with a client that updates my domain name at reboot, that is working well!

Issue with dynamic IP:

* I currently have to change httpd.conf and php.inc.config whenever the IP changes. My brother is working on a script to do this as a cron job. This will be worked out.

Issue with port blocking:

* This is my biggest hurdle, I think. My ADSL provider is blocking port 25.

Does anyone have any advice or experience in setting up Moodle under these conditions?

Caveat: The server will NOT in any way be used as a production machine, it will solely be used by myself to LEARN to setup and admin a CMS.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Stu Parker

Re: Dynamic IP Issues? (port 25 blocked)

by Tony Hursh -
I currently have to change httpd.conf and php.inc.config whenever the IP changes.

Hi, Stu. You shouldn't have to do this at all. Just use the dyndns domain name rather than a hard-coded IP address.

In regard to the port 25 issue, try setting smtphosts in the Moodle variables screen to the SMTP server for your ISP (the same one you'd use for a desktop email program), rather than trying to run a local SMTP server. That should work.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Stu Parker -
Doh sleepy I set it up Apache/PHP at 5:00 am this am. Not enough coffee...

I just rebooted after implementing your suggestions for changing the files. Apache is serving just fine!

I will try to work on the mail issue this evening (US EST).

Thanks!
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Stu Parker -
Hi Tony,

I tried your suggestion and added my smtp settings in the moodle settings. I ran the cron job from the browser and it sent out emails. (once only though...)

Note that I am testing posting to the forums from the admin account, with the user setting set to NOT send digests.

Subsequent posts are not sending email after running cron from the browser. Here is the result from running cron in the browser:

Server Time: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 11:27:14 -0400

Starting activity modules
Processing module function assignment_cron ...done.
Processing module function chat_cron ...done.
Processing module function forum_cron ...done.
Processing module function journal_cron ...done.
Processing module function workshop_cron ...done.
Finished activity modules
Running clean-up tasks...
Running backups if required...
Checking backup status...INACTIVE
Backup tasks finished.
Cron script completed correctly
Execution took 0.965801 seconds

Do you think it could be spam filtering or other blocking by my isp????
In reply to Stu Parker

by Tony Hursh -
Are you waiting for the first cron job after the editing time expires? Posts don't get mailed until the time allowed to edit them runs out.
In reply to Tony Hursh

by Adam Barnhart -
"Posts don't get mailed until the time allowed to edit them runs out."

THAT is the answer I have been looking for all morning.  Holy cow!  I wager that many of the issues people are having with cron.php and 1.4.1 are stemming from this.  We want instant gratification for our posts.