Blocks not adding to front page or course page

Blocks not adding to front page or course page

by Matt Spencer -
Number of replies: 9

Hello

I am trying to add blocks to the front page and course pages using the drop down menu. I have tried using it using the admin user and also a teacher user. When I select the block I wish to add to the front page or course page it is not added. If I go and manually insert an entry into the mdl_block_instance page using phpmyadmin then the block will appear. I am currently running it on windows using Xampp as I am still experimenting with Moodle and exploring its possibilities. I am using Moodle 1.9.5 (Build: 20090515). I have tried a fresh install and I still have to same problem. Has anyone else encountered this and know the solution?

Regards

Matt Spencer

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Matt Spencer

Re: Blocks not adding to front page or course page

by Ruslan Suvorov -
Matt,

I just found out that we have the same problem with our Moodle - nothing happens when I try to add a block to the main course page. We also run Moodle 1.9.5, built 20090729.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Russ
In reply to Matt Spencer

by Ben McLuckie -
Me too!

I have been using Moodle since the v1.5 days, and I recently did a new install of 1.9.5+ (Build: 20090805), using my database from 1.9.1+. It doesn't matter if I am a Administrator or Course Creator. I checked my Roles settings .... everything normal. The problem exists in all my courses, including from last school year. I can't even add blocks from the Site Administration/Modules/Blocks/Sticky blocks page.
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Ben McLuckie -
News flash for this thread - check out this thread:
http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=130433#p571395

Basically, I'm using PHP 5.3 (bundled with the latest version of XAMPP) and it is reported that Moodle is not compatible! Ugh! I'm going to poke around some more....

Sourceforge keeps old versions of XAMPP at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xampp/files/versions. My next task is to install an older version of XAMPP.
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Ben McLuckie -
I'm still fighting this ... any help would be appreciated smile

The older version of XAMPP not only includes an older version of PHP but MySQL as well. When I copy over my database, I get pid errors I think from parameters that the old version of MySQL doesn't know about. Or maybe I should copy over the weekly 1.9.5+'s as the core Moodlers work to squash the bugs with PHP 5.3.
In reply to Ben McLuckie

by Ruslan Suvorov -
We solved the problem by downgrading PHP from 5.3 to 5.2. Now everything works and all the blocks can be added without any problem. So, if you can't add blocks and you are using PHP 5.3, move back to PHP 5.2.
In reply to Ruslan Suvorov

by Matt Spencer -

Thanks for the replies, I will try php 5.2. I tried the moodle windows installer which was working fine. I shall try again with xampp.

In reply to Matt Spencer

by Matt Spencer -
Installing the latest weekly has solved the problem (build 20090902). I have still got php 5.3 installed.
In reply to Matt Spencer

by Kevin Lam -

Matt

I am install XAMPP on a windows server, I have the same problem, where can I get the latest weekly ?

Thank you

Kevin

In reply to Kevin Lam

by Colin Fraser -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Testers
Why are you installing Xampp onto a Windows server? Mistake...

If you have IIS php and MSSQL then download and install the standard Moodle package. It should work. If not then download and install php and MySQL. onto your server. Then you can use Moodle.