Weighted Categories - missing a feature?

Weighted Categories - missing a feature?

by Aaron Stetter -
Number of replies: 6

One of our instructors is attempting to set up his gradebook by way of weighted categories.  We've been using the instructions found here:  http://docs.moodle.org/en/Using_%22Weighted_Mean_of_Grades%22_to_weight_categories_containing_assignments.  The problem is that when we set up his gradebook, everything is the same as the settings in the instruction page, except that we have no option of "weight" in the "parent category" section.  The screen shot is from the instructions in Moodle Docs.  The arrow points to what we do not have/see in our version.  How can we set weight without this option?  Is there a setting I can change that will make it visible?  Thanks much.

Aaron

Attachment weighted_categories.JPG
In reply to Aaron Stetter

Re: Weighted Categories - missing a feature?

by Edward Burke -

Hi Aaron,  It seems to me that the course category (topmost folder in GB) may be set to SIMPLE weighted mean of grades, not weighted mean of grades.  Hope this helps

ted burke

In reply to Edward Burke

by Aaron Stetter -
Thanks, but we made sure it was weighted mean of grades, and not simple mean.  I'm still scratching my head.

by Elena Ivanova -
I think it would be better to post what you see in your own gradebook, Aaron smile

Usually, in 1.9.5 users can go to Categories and Items, set category aggregation to WM and then use new column titled "weight" to assign a number.

Attachment 01Scr_Aug._13_17.22.jpg
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Aaron Stetter -
Sorry.  Here is what we are seeing.
Attachment Capture3.JPG

by Elena Ivanova -
Put something (grade item/assignment) in your Postings "folder"/category, and you will see it smile
Right now it is empty - so it is impossible to assign weight to a non-existing item.

Or put your Course Total to WM and not to Mean, to be able to weight categories.