Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

by MERT DOĞAN -
Number of replies: 38

http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=578 The Word Template for Moodle Quiz. When Moodle is in version 1.6 it was the best solution i saw for generating questions. Because everybody knows Word and it's the product of Microsoft.

I know new Word (2007) don't likes old template formats but we are still using Word 2003.

This version of XML Generator is the best solution but it's not updated still version of 1.6 and the new properties of moodle are not supported with this old Word template.

The images can't be imported, feedbacks can't have images, The Answers tag can't be set (as A. B. C. or 1. 2. 3. or I. II. III. like), new question formats not supported.

I want help from programmers updates this template for community. I tried but i don't know visual basic for application. I will re-code it in Delphi short time later but now it's so imported for everybody i saw.

Thanks lot.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to MERT DOĞAN

Re: Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hi Mert & Anyone else interested in creating Moodle quizzes offline using a template!

Here is a version of the Word - Moodle XML template that we have been using for a long time with Word 2003. We love it and saves us a TON of time! Credits to all the developers are included in the zipped file. Also works with Word 2007 but there are some additional steps you have to take to enable macros if you are using this version. Click here to view a video that shows those Word 2007 steps.

If anyone comes a cross a newer version I would love to see it. Would be nice if it seamlessly would play nice with Word 2007 but this is still very workable and most of our staff is still on Word 2003, but not for much longer.

This is an awesome template and so easy to include feedback and embed images. Earlier versions of this template did not play so nice with images but this works just great.

Here are some additional step-by-step videos I created for using this template with Word 2003 and Windows XP that might be helpful although it is a pretty user friendly tool:
Using the Word to Moodle XML Template - Part 1
Using the Word to Moodle XML Template - Part 2
Inserting Graphics in Word-XML Template

Good Luck!
PS-
Syntax Notes <Caution Geek Alert Code Red>:This template allows you to add feedback to multiple choice questions only. There is also a way to add general feedback to all question types by editing the XML code as follows: <generalfeedback> <text>Your comment goes here.</text> </generalfeedback> NOTE: Do not use > or < in feedback as that is part of the code. Use &lt; for < and &gt; for >.
Average of ratings: Useful (8)
In reply to Deb Burdick-Hinton

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
This is really good Deb, thanks, especially your videos. When we go back in September we will all have been updated to Word 2007. I have seen this and played with it a year or so ago, but I was never really sure whether it would be more effort to show the teachers how to make their questions in Word and then upload to a Moodle quiz or to show them how to do them directly in Moodle; what do you think?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks for your feedback Mary- I am glad you find the videos helpful.

Just my "humble" opinion but I think everyone should start out creating quizzes directly in moodle until they feel real comfortable with the settings and features. They will not really appreciate or understand all the functionality and benefit of using the template until this happens. I also think folks need to be at least an intermediate user of MS Word to effectively use this tool.

If you have any instructors who create a lot of quizzes from "scratch" they really need to be introduced to some sort of offline quiz creation tool. Also, if they use a lot of images in their quizzes this is such a huge time saver as well.

If instructors are just creating basic multiple choice questions, Aiken format is accessible to all and if they use a wider variety then GIFT format also works, although not as user friendly as Aiken but it supports more formats.

In my Intro to Moodle course I just list the Offline Quiz creation tools/activities as "Optional" but require students to use it in my Intermediate course. Open Office also has a template and there is one for Excel. Some instructors are more comfortable using Excel but I do not know how it handles images.

I would be interested in hearing from others who utilize offline quiz creation tools like the Word to XML Template.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Marc Grober -
Deb,
How does the tool handle equations created with the MS incorporate Equation editor? Does it just render as gif or png? I assume it leaves tokens such as dbldollars alone?
In reply to Marc Grober

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
I have not used the MS equation editor with this version of the template (has anyone else?) but have with previous versions and it brought them as images (gif I think).

It would be really great to start an "Offline Quiz Creation" forum in Moodle. It is so nice to finally connect with other folks who use this tool. I live in Alaska and being able to use a familiar tool like word and create question databases offline is a huge plus and real time savor. Would be nice to be able to have some of the other quiz features and functions built into future versions of the template.

Ynt: Re: Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

by MERT DOĞAN -

Thank you so much for your reply Deb. See of somebody working for this problem maked me so happy now smile

But my problem is still appearing. I watched your presentation and used your xml template (v1.1). When i imported a xml file everythink is going ok but when i preview pictured question a big X appears on the place of picture and picture not appears. I inserted a clipart like your videos but it still happens.

Then i opened XML template, opened example file and copied all of questions to the template. Cleaned the document and exported. Than in moodle imported questions. 6 of questions are imported as well but when i preview pictured question a big stupid X still appears sad

Am i making something wrong i don't know but help me pleeeeaaase

by MERT DOĞAN -

I solved i solved :D:D:D:D:D

Deb i want to kiss you so much ( as a friend ) :D:D:D

But i found a buf of Moodle. When you configured your moodledata folder with "\" then the moodle quis converter is not writing this letter to database but when you change this letter to "/" everything is fine :D:D (like mine)

But i think this is a bug that i found (with Deb's help) and i want to report it to developers. But i don't know how can i do that. Please somebody tells me how can i do that or somebody tells developers this bug for me. It must be solved.

Thanks Deb again. I'm waiting your new templates with option of answers can start with (A, B, C, ... or 1, 2, 3,...) or new features. I'll be happy to help you what you want me and i can.

Hey Deb; may i want you an improvement that very important for me ( i don't know how can i do that). Images can't insertable to feedbacks now but if this added to template, it will be great improvement i think.

Best regards.

In reply to MERT DOĞAN

Re: Ynt: Re: Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Thanks for all of your feedback Mert. I am glad you have solved this and appreciate the kiss kiss. I am surprised I have not had this problem with images. But I agree I wish I could put images in the feedback as well. I am sure someone a lot smarter than me could make big improvements in this template. I would welcome improvements.

I am not sure who would make the updates you suggest. Several folks have contributed to this development and I none of them appear to have active moodle.org accounts right now.

Thanks for your comments and input. Good luck!

Ynt: Re: Ynt: Re: Please Somebody Update Word Quiz Template??

by MERT DOĞAN -

Thank you so much for your replies too. If you change moodladata folder setting in the configuration.php nothing is going wrong and everything is going ok but you can try it; if you will change folder letters of "/" to "\" than moodle quiz importer ignores them. It's a stupid error for me.

So; can't you make improvement of this? Is it hard to work? If you tell me somethink how can i do it i can do it and use. It's so important for my master thesis.

Best regards.

by Chris Swaffield -
Is there a Mac version of this converter? I tried using this one, but it doesn't work in Word 2008.
In reply to Chris Swaffield

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
My mac buddies use an Open Office version but do not know of anyone using it with the Word for Mac.
In reply to Chris Swaffield

by Eoin Campbell -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers
This template won't work on a Macintosh. It uses a Windows library called Microsoft XML to perform the conversion process, and this library
is not available on the Mac at all.

In addition, Word 2008 on the Mac does not have any support at all for VBA, which is the programming language for Microsoft Office. Microsoft made a decision not to support it on the Macintosh for the Office 2008 release, for reasons best known to themselves.

You could probably use Word 2004 on the Mac to create and edit questions using this template, because it does support VBA, but you would need a Windows PC to convert the Word files into XML.

by Shefali Bhuta -
Hi Deb,

I downloaded your template but was not in luck. I watched all your videos and went throught the instructions. But when I click on the Export button I get the following screen with XML highlighted.

I am using Word 2003 on XP.

I cleaned up the Word doc and saved it in the folder where the XML subfolder is there.

Could you tell me where I could be going wrong

regards Shefali
Attachment Error.JPG
In reply to Shefali Bhuta

by MERT DOĞAN -

it's not required to save your word document in the template dir.

Only required you have to extract all of file and xml-question folder in the same directory.

And then open file moodle_quiz_v11.dot file (via double click) and generate your quiz. Before clicking export button you may want to clean your document but it's not required to save your file before export.

If problem still appears i can help you by msn mertdogan@hotmail.com add me.

In reply to Shefali Bhuta

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Gosh I am so sorry it did not work. I just went through the steps again and have never seen that error. I will think on it for a while and if I something comes to me I will share. It has always "just worked" for me. The only error I have made is not saving the document in the correct spot. Hmmmmmmmmmm. Sorry I can not be of help - but maybe others might have an idea?

by karthi R -
how to use Numerical questions with images in word quiz template? Can somebody help me out please

by Farzaneh CTY -

Deb,

Thanks a lot for this post, it has been really useful, specially the videos.

But I am having a problem exporting it by word 2007, I wonder if you know the solution for it! when I try to export it, it shows different extensions and I chose the XML one, exporting was successful but after I upload it on moodle I receive the error that the file is empty and it does not import the questions.

The way I created the file was exactly the same way I viewed on videos and also I embedded some pictures in the question.

Thanks a lot,

Farzaneh

In reply to Farzaneh CTY

by Yulia I -
can you attach your doc file? I'll try to convert it.
In reply to Farzaneh CTY

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Sorry for your challenges Farzaneh. The only additional steps we had to take with 2007 are included in the video and dealt with enabling the macros. One idea comes to mind. You have to first save the file in word format then "clean up" then export. Of course those are the steps in the video and you said you followed them so I am also at a loss as to what is the problem but I would take Yulia up on their generous offer and attach your document so they can take a look and give you some feedback.

by Andrea Pokrzywinski -
Hey Deb,

Can you pass along the names of folks using the template in Open Office on the mac. I am having trouble enabling the macros.

Thanks,
Andy
In reply to Andrea Pokrzywinski

by Deb Burdick-Hinton -
Hey Andrea- I sent out a quick email to Ben McLuckie and it was not valid sad he is the last mac dude I knew that was using it but I BET someone out in "moodledom" is actively using the Open Office Offline Quiz Template. Also - Chick and John are big Open office users, maybe they can help. Sorry!

Re: Please Somebody Update OO Quiz Template??

by Marc Grober -
This has gotten a bit confusing. You are talking now about the OpenOffice template that was published some years ago here:

http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=20705&parent=168385

And the current problem is installing macros on OO 3.x??

Per Enrique's http://moodle.org/user/view.php?id=14956&course=5 included pdf, on which step does there seem to be an issue?

My experience with OO 3.1+ is that the best way to address use of the nacros is simply to open the ott file enrique provides which will prompt an alert to enable macros, respond in the affirmative and the macros are all there. now save to your own template repository....
In reply to Marc Grober

by Marc Grober -
AHA! Maybe I see the trouble....
There is no append anymore....
You can manage this by amending Enriques instructions as follows....
Open the template and save it locally.
Then open Macros and follow the insturctions to get to the organzier, BUT select the template in the library drop down menu.
Select the Gift library and EXPORT as basic.
Now in the organizer select your own macros per the instructions and imporrt the basic library.... should work fine,

Just for grins I exported the macros as an extension and have attached the extension to this posting..... let me know if there are any issues with it.
In reply to Marc Grober

by Dominique BODIN -
Hello,

With the version 11 of the Word template (in the zip above) I always meet the same problem : the numerical type questions are not imported (in Moodle 9).

Thanks for any tips on this issue,
D.BODIN
In reply to Dominique BODIN

by Marc Grober -
Title at odds with content of your post- are you asking about OO or msword?
In reply to Marc Grober

Re: Please Somebody Update WORD Quiz Template??

by Dominique BODIN -
Helllo,

Sorry I was asking about the template of the original post of this thread : I was talking about the numerical question in the Microsoft Word template. All the questions of this kind are ignored during the export.

Thanks,
D.BODIN

by Pete Hine -

Thanks to Deb and Trish for those handy videos. I have just installed the template and tried to run it with Word 2007. I have completed all steps successfully and can see the question type buttons under add-in tab but when I click them I get an error message " The macro cannot be found or is disabled due to your security settings." In response to this I have allowed Macros to run in the "Trust Center" but it makes no difference.

Has anybody here come across this problem? Any hints how to solve this?

It would be much appreciated because i have an awful lot of questions to write.smile

ON EDIT: It's working now after I saved it and reopened the file! Sorry to bother you, only read the thank you's.

In reply to Pete Hine

by Trish Hart -

Your welcome smile

and you bring up a good point about the security, you have to enable macros and it will not take effect until you save and reopen....

WORD 2007

1. Click the Microsoft Office Button , and then click Word Options.
  2. Click Trust Center, click Trust Center Settings, and then click Macro Settings.

by Ashish Namdeo -
Hello,

We have developed Offline Quiz for Moodle using Google Gear.

1) User can go to moodle quiz and on attempt page he will get the choice for Offline and Online both mode of quiz.

2) if he select offline mode Quiz is downloaded to his system (using google gear)

(After that net connection is not required till the exam is finished)

3) He can attempt the quiz offline on his system

4) once done he can connect to internet and sync the result.

5) Whole quiz will be sync to moodle database (as if it was attempted online)

you can review the Demo version of it at my site.

http://www.eddytools.com/eddyQuiz/

if interested we can customize and implement the same module to your moodle setup. Please contact us at
<contact @ eddytools . com>

Ashish,
Co-founder
EddyTools (TM) Anwesha Software Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
www.eddytools.com

In reply to Ashish Namdeo

by Mihir J -

Hi All,

I am using this plugin.

But the images are not getting uploaded. I am getting a X mark while do a preview

I have checked Deb's video and doing exactly the same.

Is this problem resolved?

Regards,

by Gayle Bird -

Any chance there's an update to this template that allows it to work with Word 2010? Been using v11 for a while in Word 2007 and love it, but it throws errors in Word 2010.

In reply to Gayle Bird

by Lael ... -

I know this is resurrecting an old post... but...

It still seems like this is the template that looks the 'best' in terms of ease of use. Does anyone have an updated version that works with Office 2010...

or - recommendations on another template that is as good / better than this one?

In reply to Lael ...

by Aaron Thompson -

I've been able to use the "moodle_quiz_v11" template in Word 2010 with no errors.  Here is a quick list of what made it a success.

1. Integrate the template into Word as directed.
  2. Enable Macros.
  3. Export and Save as: Word XML Document.

by Frankie Kam -
Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Deb

I followed your video steps to insert a graphic.

Bummer, doesn't work for me. Am using Moodle 1.9.15.
Hope you read this.

Frankie Kam