Using ICT (e-Learning/Moodle) in Southern Afrika

Using ICT (e-Learning/Moodle) in Southern Afrika

by Peter Janssens -
Number of replies: 6

I am doing a project focussing on "How ICT can support lecturing" in polytechnics (cf american higher education, non-university) in Zimbabwe (next to South Afrika). I am currently exploring the possibilities with Moodle in 2 institutions in this country.

However, I have no previous experience with e-learning, neither have I experience in Afrika. I regularly meet unforseen situations due to wrong (unconscious) assumptions.

I therefore are desperately looking for people with experience with Moodle (or any other ICT supported teaching) in Afrika, preferably in the Southern Afrikan region.

Thanks a lot if you can help me! I published also my e-mail address in order to open up all communication media as much as possible.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Peter Janssens

Re: Using ICT (e-Learning/Moodle) in Southern Afrika

by Markus Mostert -

Dear Peter,

I realise that it has been a while since your original post, but was wondering if you are still interested in discussing the use of Moodle in Southeren Africa. We use Moodle at Rhodes University in the Eastern Cape, South Africa, and I'd be happy to share our experiences. Last year I tried to encourage people at the Africa University in Zimbabwe and the Eduardo Mondlane University in Mozambique to start using Moodle. I know that the people at the Africa University has started, but I am not sure how well they are coping.

Take care,

Markus

Rhodes University Moodle Administrator

In reply to Markus Mostert

by Anton Pienaar -
Hi Peter and Markus,

We really should chat more. I am busy with a fairly large roll-out of a moodle lms here in Bloemfontein South Africa. I have always thought that moodle would take off in Africa. An affordable solution to assist the less wealthy higher education institutions will promote learning and teaching.

Regards

Anton

by andy choo -
Hi,

Using Moodle in Africa is an interesting prospect. I'm interested to assist in this operation if possible.

Andy
In reply to andy choo

by Caleb Orwa -
Hi
I have just joined as this group after i found moodle to be the tool for us in Kenya. Access to the internet has been limited in Kenya, but thanks to the launch of the fibre optic cable  that should open new possibilities.

I am hobbist web developer with some experience in similar open source CMS (content management systems) such as Joomla!.

I would like to start a small Moodle classroom in a small media centre near me

Anybody out there to share some experience?

Thanks in advance
Orwa

by anthony gillett -
Hi Markus

I was wondering if I could pick your brains. My school in Mexico is about to launch Moodle over the next 6 months and I am currently writing an assignment for my Masters degree regarding the implementation of Moodle within schools across the world. I am keen to highlight any issues that schools have faced especially with regard to change and any cultural barriers, (locals vs overseas staff). I feel that your experiences would help my school with its implementation.

Would you mind if I sent you a questionnaire to fill out?

I would be extremely grateful for your help.

Anthony Gillett
Senior Teacher
La Escuela de Lancaster
Insurgentes Sur 3838
Tlalpan
Mexico City
Mexico
In reply to Peter Janssens

by George Herd -

Hi all

just to add to the Moodle bandwagon...

I'm using Moodle in Botswana - a new technical college in Francistown. The students love it, but as usual we are relying on the staff early adopters to take things forward. However, its all very positive.

The Ministry of Education are planning a wider pilot for schools. The University of Botswana also have a pilot running (currently they use WebCT), and the government funded distance education college have just installed a new  server and recruited a Moodle admin to get things going for them.

It does seem to me that there are enough Moodle users around in this part of the world to begin thinking about an OER group. I've looked at the African Virtual University and some others based upon wikipedia. They are OK, if you like lots of text for distance learning, but don't seem to be a match for Moodle when used in  a blended learning environment. Any takers?