Windows server: Windows 2003 Server installation nightmare

Windows server: Windows 2003 Server installation nightmare

by Pyers Symon -
Number of replies: 4
I have been tasked with the installation of moodle on a pair of Windows 2003 servers, one of which will be the web server and the other the mysql server.

I have created the empty moodle databases on the mysql server and cam connect to them using mysql from the web server ....

So far so good ...

Where I have having a complete horror is the installation of moodle on the web server. Nowhere does the windows installer allow you to select any other database server other than localhost, and since the default moodle databases are then created automatically you are stuffed.

I tried to pause the installation at the point where the config.php file had been created, edit it with the correct database settings, but to no avail.

The mysql connection string that works is:

mysql -h 10.0.0.101 -u moodleuser -p

password: ******

mysql> use moodle ;

database changed

Now my config.php file looks like this:

$CFG->dbtype = "mysql" ;
$CFG->dbhost = "10.0.0.101" ;
$CFG->dbname = "moodle" ;
$CFG->dbuser = "moodleuser" ;
$CFG->dbpass = "******" ;

The database connection error that I am getting is "Error: Database connection failed" With a suggestion that I check config.php.

Any suggestions ?

(I have no choice but to run in on WIndows 2003... the customer insisted ...)

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Pyers Symon

Re: Windows server: Windows 2003 Server installation nightmare

by Pyers Symon -
Forgot to mention: I am using the "all-in-one" install package that is found here:

http://download.moodle.org/windows/

P
In reply to Pyers Symon

by Iñaki Arenaza -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Don't use it wink

That package is intented to be self-contained and is not ideal for a production server but for test setups (in my humble opinion).

I'd follow the 'Manual installation' instructions on http://docs.moodle.org/en/Windows_installation (Skipping the MySQL installation steps in your case).

Saludos. Iñaki.

In reply to Iñaki Arenaza

by Michael Rodgers -

Hi Inaki having recently also done the manual option install I encountered a strange problem which I cant seem to find reference to anywhere else or moodle help.

It would seem that only when referring to the index.php does my browser give me an error. On main page when I click 'turn editing on' or when I click the 'Home' button on other pages to navigate back to index.php it tells me http 403 forbidden - this website requires you to login. I am already logged in though and if I manually enter index.php into address bar then page appears fine (and logged in). I have no idea now why this is happening as all other pages are fine??

Thanks,

Michael

In reply to Pyers Symon

by Chris Williams -

as already mentioned by inaki - that package is for test enviroment typically on your desktop pc's you will need to follow the manual root.