Database sessions

Database sessions

by Jason Cole -
Number of replies: 2
Hey all,

We're looking at creating a high availability cluster for serving Moodle on our campus. I'd like to create a load-balanced pool of PHP app servers connected to a pool of MySQL clustered servers. To pull this off, I need to use database based sessions. If a user is suddenly moved from one app server to another, their session data needs to move with them.

Is there a plan in the works, or a capability I don't know about, for MySQL sessions? If not, I'll recruit another student to implement it. It shouldn't be too hard, just a lot of grunt work.

Thanks

Jason
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Cole

Re: Database sessions

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
This is about #348 on my list.

The way to do it is to use ADOdb (not just MySQL). It's not too hard, no. Here are all the details.

I think pretty much all the code needed would go in lib/setup.php.

There should also be a configuration variable to control whether disk files or database tables are used for session (defaulting to current situation of disk files).    Need to edit:  lib/defaults.php   admin/config.html   lang/en/moodle.php

In reply to Martin Dougiamas

Re: Database sessions

by Jason Cole -
The great thing about open source is while it's #348 on your list is #2 on mine. But I don't have to wait for you to get to it.

It's my itch, so I'll get to scratching it. cool

Thanks for the references.