Basic question: text page vs. web page

Basic question: text page vs. web page

by Margaret Oget -
Number of replies: 5
Reading through Rice's Moodle 1.9: E-Learning Course Development, and he gives good reasons for whether or not to upload a file.

However, he does not give you reasons for choosing text page vs. web page. It seems as though both are pretty flexible. Why would you choose one and not the other?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Margaret Oget

Re: Basic question: text page vs. web page

by Margaret Oget -
Related question: web page vs. wiki. I'd like to make my syllabus into a document with links in it for the web, but I don't know how to do the work that [] does in wiki (where you can then create the page to which [] links. Is there a particular way to do it in the WYSIWYG or do you have to know HTML in order to do that for a web page?

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
A Moodle webpage doesn't work the same as a wiki in that you can't create another page "just like that" but there is a very useful plug in module called a Book that you can install or get your host to install - and that works very easily where you can just press + to add as many pages as you wish to your basic document. It might be worth having a look at. http://moodle.org/mod/data/view.php?d=13&rid=319&filter=1

by Michael Heraghty -
Margaret: Interesting question. I just chose web page because I wanted the pages to look as nice as possible (images, font styles, colours, sizes, layout of areas within the page, etc.) and I presumed I would be able to do lot more with web pages than with plain text pages.

I have a web design background and I am comfortable editing the source HTML directly if required.

I am a relative beginner to Moodle, so my inclination was to jump straight into web pages.

As to why I didn't upload files: I wanted students to have a click-through experience. For example, the course is designed in such as way as each page continues the "narrative" -- the links then lead to other web pages, with text such as "let's learn more" or "let's find out how that works", etc.

by Dan Roddy -
As far as I can tell, I don't actually think there is any practical difference between a page created using the web page resource type and the text page type set to HTML format. I think this may be a redundant distinction now. Perhaps someone else could set me straight as I've just been trying hopelessly to fathom the difference.

(ftr, none of the three books I have seem to say anything on the issue. Grrr.)
In reply to Dan Roddy

by Brent Gamble -

The only difference i have found is that you can change the text page formatwhere as the web page is thestandard HTML editor