Quiz Time Limit Expired - How to Get Partial Grade

Quiz Time Limit Expired - How to Get Partial Grade

Paul Tannahill írta időpontban
Válaszok szám: 15
An Instructor wants to set a time limit for a quiz, but also wants to allow students to get partial credit if the time limit expires before they complete the quiz. He only wants them to have one attempt.

I'm sure I'm missing a checkbox somewhere.

Thanks!
Értékelések átlaga:Useful (1)
Válasz erre: Paul Tannahill

Re: Quiz Time Limit Expired - How to Get Partial Grade

Joseph Rézeau írta időpontban
Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
Hi Paul,
I do not see your problem. If a student has not finished a timed quiz before the time limit, his results are saved and his correct responses are scored normally. (Using moodle 1.9 latest version).
Joseph
Válasz erre: Joseph Rézeau

Thanks, Joseph, but no points are being awarded for this particular quiz. I'll dig into the quiz settings again.

I think I have gotten to the bottom of it:

From the help feature on the Time Limit setting in the Upgrade screen for a Moodle quiz:

"If a student manages to cheat and spends more than 60 seconds over the allotted time then the quiz is automatically graded zero."

I think I know now what was going on now!
Válasz erre: Paul Tannahill

Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
"If a student manages to cheat and spends more than 60 seconds over the allotted time then the quiz is automatically graded zero."

But how can this happen? If a student has not finished the quiz when the timer reaches the set time limit, then immediately the student's answers to the answered questions so far are saved and the quiz is closed... and his results are saved to the gradebook. I do not see how a student could "spend more than 60 seconds over the alloted time".

If this is a safety issue, please do not answer my question, of course.wink

Tim, what do you say?

Josephthoughtful

Tim Hunt írta időpontban
Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
Well, at the moment Moodle implements one policy, which is that it is the student's responsibility to "Submit all and finish" their quiz before it is due.

More flexibility about how late submissions are handled would be nice. That is basically what MDL-3030 is about, but I don't know when anyone will have time to work on that.
Válasz erre: Tim Hunt

Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
Sorry, Tim, but that does not seem to answer the question. Can you confirm my findings that in current moodle 1.9.5 the student's answers to a timed quiz are indeed saved and graded automatically even if the student does not click the Submit all and finish button before the time is due? which seems sensible.
Joseph
EDIT.- and what about that weird online help statement about "cheating within a 60 seconds time limit" ???

Tim Hunt írta időpontban
Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
That line in the help is weird. I might change it, if I can be bothered.

If the student has the quiz attempt open in their browser. Then the JS should submit it as the time expires, and so they will get partial marks. In other circumstances, that does not happen.
Válasz erre: Tim Hunt

David Wong írta időpontban
Tim,

I've got some courses where a students answers questions and his attempt is graded and scored regardless if he exceeds the duration, i.e., does NOT choose save and submit.

But there are others where the student does get a zero even though he has answered some of the questions correctly.

The "cheating part" in the Moodle docs does not indicate what actions Moodle takes into account to give him a zero.

So, under what conditions does a student get a zero for a quiz he has not saved and submitted even though exceeded the quiz duration?
Válasz erre: David Wong

I think I answered my own question here.... A student is given a zero IF they disable javascript in their browser because Js auto submits their quiz answers for them.

Now what about the 60 second overage mentioned in the Moodle docs? Is that correct?

Okay, well TWO conditions must be true for a student to get a zero for a quiz even if he answers some of this questions correctly.

1. Javascript is disabled or not enabled which means no counter which means no auto submission of the quiz at end of the duration.

2. Student submits quiz MORE than 60 seconds after the duration has ended. If he submits it within 60 seconds after the duration, the system will grade his quiz and enter a score for him in the gradebook.

Susan Mangan írta időpontban
We recently discovered an 'oddity' with the quiz timer (we use v.1.9.5) and its relation to grading zero or not grading zero ...

If you have multiple pages in your timed quiz, the timer will revert back to a previous state if the student clicks the back button in the browser window essentially 'tricking' the system which will allow the student more time to finish the quiz.

Obviously, 'actual' time is recorded since the quiz module uses server side time to record and compare but this can be deceiving for the student if the student clicks the back button and changes the quiz time inadvertently and thinks he/she has more time. Also, if the student returns to a previous state of time by clicking back button on the browser, and then jumps ahead correctly (by clicking the page number for example), the quiz timer will jump ahead to the actual correct time! So a student can 'inadvertently' lose many minutes during a quiz!

There were 2 different "cheating" scenarios that we tested for the automatic gradeing of zero - one worked, one didn't:

We attempted to change the system clock on the client side during a quiz. This changed the timer and allowed us more time to complete the quiz, the quiz was recorded as being over the time period alloted and graded the quiz zero.

Next we changed the quiz timer by using the back button on the browser. The quiz was recorded as being over the time period alloted but did NOT grade the quiz zero.

Interesting...

I B írta időpontban
Hello.
could you please inform me if that function (submitting the score even if the student won't click on the Submit all/finish buttons) was executable for version 1.9.3?

thank you in advance.
Válasz erre: I B

Tim Hunt írta időpontban
Kép Kép Kép Kép Kép
The JavaScript countdown timer that automatically submits the quiz when the time expires has been there for as long as I can remember. At least since Moodle 1.5.