Moodle documentation: Roles popup documentation

Re: Moodle documentation: Roles popup documentation

by Ian Wild -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Ray,

I'm not sure that one is changing the capability. If I have permission to post to a forum or not the "thing that can be done" i.e. post to a forum does not change.

I understand what you mean. In the cognitive sense I find it better to build a suitable mental model in my delegate's heads by saying something along the lines of "As an admin I give or take away the capability to perform a certain function".

Perhaps the word "Capability" is the issue here...

You're probably right: I wouldn't mind if we were talking about permissions or capabilities... but I think the fact we are talking about both is what's causing the confusion. What do you think?

Do you think it would be better to talk about "a big long list of capabilities" and then talk about "giving roles permission to carry out a function", e.g. everyone in the school has the capability to be milk monitor ( those were the days wink ) but it's only certain children who have permission?

When I've tried this approach the usual response is that not all children have the capability smile This may be the seat of the argument about "capabilities" and "permissions".

I'm also wondering if this problem with semantics is just in English. Would other languages have this problem?

Hope this helps and cheers,

Ian.

Average of ratings: Useful (1)