Restore not restoring users (and user data)

Restore not restoring users (and user data)

by Howard Miller -
Number of replies: 1
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I have a whole bunch of backup files that where created in 1.9.2+ and definitely contain user data - yes I have checked in the files.

On restore in 1.9.5 you get the dots...

Creating users
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

which goes on for all 300-odd users. and then...

. . (New: 0, Existing: 0)

* Students: 0
* Teachers: 0

So, no users are included or enrolled and no user content (e.g. forum postings) is restored.

This is consistent on all the course backups that where recently created by an automatic backup. I have debugging on and there are no notices or warnings. The restorelog shows nothing out of the ordinary.

Does anybody have any ideas and/or can you tell me how the number of new and existing users might be 0 even though there where 300+ dots?

Anyway, I'm off to investigate further.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Howard Miller

Re: Restore not restoring users (and user data)

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Further info...

There's a tag in each user record called ... The code seems to expect it to contain something like teacher / student / admin ... or an odd one called 'needed'. In our case the field is empty. When empty the create code is skipped.

Unfortunately, I can't go back and rerun the backup so even if the bug is that the file was created that way the bug (for me) is now that it doesn't handle it.

What does that field do... and what is 'needed'?