What kind of activity (no grades wanted)?

What kind of activity (no grades wanted)?

by Lissa Ingram -
Number of replies: 4
I have a Moodle installed (1.9.5). I have some course material based on a book about job search. There are assessments in the book that I'm trying to replicate in the digital world. Questions like 'what topics do you enjoy reading about', 'list the titles of jobs you had through out your career', etc, personal review questions. I want to capture the answers and allow the students to come back to them at a later time and make changes, and if they choose to work with a consultant, I would like to allow the consultant (in the teacher role) to see the answers. I don't want grading. Most of them are essay type questions for personal reflection, though there are a few that lend themselves to multiple answer.

Does anyone have any suggestions for which activity type(s) would work for this? I thought about the online text assignment, but a coworker suggested that having the students copy and paste the questions into the submission field was a little hokey. I've tried the quiz activity, but the proliferation of buttons seems to confuse some of the older students (by older I mean some in their 50s and 60s), and I really don't want grades, so there isn't any reason for them to ever "submit" their answers.

Am I missing something, or do I really just need to hack the quiz thing to show fewer buttons and try to get rid of the grading?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Lissa Ingram

Re: What kind of activity (no grades wanted)?

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Lissa,
There are probably quite a few ways you could do this; I'll suggest one:

You could set up an individual wiki for each person (student/no groups).

On the their main page, you could list the questions, and then put these [ ] around each sentence. That will open a daughter page for an answer to each question rather like the questions are the 'table of contents' page.

The student can go to each daughter page and edit each answer any time.

Only the teacher and the student can edit their pages.

Andrea
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Andrea Hall

by Lissa Ingram -
Hi Andrea,

This sounds very useful for some of my sections, do you know whether there is a way to have a sort of template wiki that could be duplicated for each new student? I need to automate as much as I can, as there may be large groups entering at one time.

Thank you!

Lissa
In reply to Lissa Ingram

by Andrea Hall -
Hi Lissa,

The wiki does provide a way to upload a template to do this. I read the documentation on it, but it sounded to technical for me, so I have never used it.

There is an easier alternative for non-techies like me:

When you describe the wiki activity in the first box, tell the students: please copy the following into your wiki, and then provide them with the list of questions with the [ ] around the questions. Do a practice to make sure it works okay.

Just 2 points about using this contents type page: Don't use '&' in the questions as the daughter page does not save properly. Also make sure that no one alters any thing inside the [ ] or all the info on the daughter page will be utterly lost forever (and guess how I found that out)!

Andrea
In reply to Lissa Ingram

by Ryan Chadwick -
Hi Lissa,

Sounds like for some of those questions you could use a database (depending on whether you want other students to see the answers or not). Doing it this way would allow you to set fields for each of the pieces of data you wanted.

There is an activity module called Focuspad (http://focuspad.mintranet.com.au) that may do what you want also. It allows for templates, multiple entries, can go back and edit etc.

A blog could be useful for general reflection.