IMS deploy error

IMS deploy error

by Sam Fisher -
Number of replies: 5
I get the following error when trying to deploy an IMS content package:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 100663296 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 16 bytes) in /home/sfisher/public_html/moodle/lib/xmlize.php on line 53

I'm running 1.9.5.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sam Fisher

Re: IMS deploy error

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
Why 16 bytes?
In reply to Mary Evans

by Sam Fisher -
I don't know why? I assume it needs more memory allocated but I'm not sure where it should be done.
In reply to Sam Fisher

by Mary Evans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
OK...

Well I'm no expert, especially when it comes to PHP, but after doing some google searches it looks as though the problem stems from the fact your host service provider has set the limit on the php file handling on the server to something like 96M, which I dare say is big enough to handle average IMS files. Problems could occur when uploading images though. Could this be your problem do you think? Does your IMS Content contain many images? If so are these large files? It might have some bearing on the problem.

Perhaps you need to speak to your hosting company and see if they can allocate more memory.

Added later in edit mode:

Something I just found on the web...which explains better...same problem smaller allocation...
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/777/solve-php-fatal-error-allowed-memory-size-of-8388608-bytes-exhausted-tried/

The following is a quote from that page...

"...Keep in mind that a huge memory limit is a poor substitute for good coding. A poorly written script may inefficiently squander memory which can cause severe problems for frequently executed scripts. However, some applications are run infrequently and require lots of memory like importing and processing a big data file..."
Which I think says it all...

Hope all, or some of this helps.

Cheers

Mary

In reply to Mary Evans

by Sam Fisher -
Mary - Thanks for the advice. I'll check with my service provider. I suspect there are a lot of images as you suggest. Again, thanks for the response.
In reply to Sam Fisher

by Mary Evans -
You're welcome...glad you found it of some help.

If for some reason your ISP wont play ball, your only other solution would be to resize the larger images, and try to reduce their file size, perhaps compressing them further in something like Photoshop. Images viewed on the web can be reduced quite a lot in both physical size, as well as compression size without losing too much clarity.

Mary