Bulk upload group auto-creation and population

Bulk upload group auto-creation and population

by Michael Brockhouse -
Number of replies: 4

Hi everyone, I have a quick question about uploading users in bulk using a CSV file.

If I assign users to groups, do those groups get autogenerated in the appropriate course, or does it just fail to create a group and move on to the next user?

I have a client who has thousands of users, and about ten different groups for about 25 courses. All these groups are pretty much identical to each other and will appear in each course.

Therefore, instead of recreating the groups over and over, can I just assign users to groups I type into the CSV file and then those groups will be created and populated, or do I need to create all the groups for each course manually.

Thanks for any advice you can give me. I'm relatively new to Moodle (and these forums, for that matter), and I probably shouldn't keep nodding and saying "Yes, we can do that!" to my clients before I find out if I can do it or not smile

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Michael Brockhouse

Re: Bulk upload group auto-creation and population

by Howard Miller -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Don't know. It would take you about 2 minutes to try it wink
In reply to Howard Miller

by Michael Brockhouse -
Oi, less lip from you! smile Nah, that's a good plan, I'll give it a shot. Just thought if it was a quick answer, might save me time testing stuff. It wont take me 2 minutes, though, I'm not a Grand Master Moodler yet
In reply to Michael Brockhouse

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Michael
You'll be pleased to know you can bulk allocate your students (and create the groups) via the bulk user upload.

Within your file have the following (I'm assuming the users have already been created, if they haven't add the relevant columns to create the user at the same time):
username, course1, group1, course2, group2
teresag, Math101, MathGroupA, Biol101, BiologyGroupB

Effectively the above line will add the user 'teresag' into Course Math101 as a student (add 'role1' if you need to specify a non-student role) and put her into the MathGroupA in that course. If that groups doesn't exist it will be created and the user added. The above line also has a second course BIOL101 and associated group.

More info is outlined in the Bulk Upload users help file on your site http://sitename/help.php?module=moodle&file=uploadusers2.html&forcelang= or on the Upload users Moodle Docs page.

I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Chiyanjano Kazuwa -

Hi,

How can I create groups in moodle? I have already uploaded the users.