What are hardware requirement to support 1000 access simultaneously

What are hardware requirement to support 1000 access simultaneously

by rolio rolio -
Number of replies: 3

Can the following hardware spec to support 1000 access simultaneously ? or did anyone do the performance test ?

Webserver - 32 bits

Windows 2003 + IIS + PHP

2 Quad Core + 6GB RAM

Database server - 64 bits

Windows 2003 + SQL 2005  clustering ( 2 node cluster)

2 Quad Core + 12GB  RAM

Average of ratings: -
In reply to rolio rolio

Re: What are hardware requirement to support 1000 access simultaneously

by Dan Marsden -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Plugins guardians Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
1000 concurrent users is really high - are you sure you have the figures right?

if the number is right, you should really talk to your local Moodle Partner about this - simply installing php and iis with Moodle works, but you really need to tune the server quite a lot to get the best out of the hardware.
In reply to rolio rolio

by Zak Fleming -
When you go over 4GB Ram you will need server 2008 Enterprise or the OS wont see it. And then when you go over this the applications won't address all the memory. I strongly recomend going to x64 for the Webserver.

Also another point i have found that Moodle runs much nicer in II7, Server 2008 than IIS in server 2003.
In reply to Zak Fleming

by Rob Duncan -

yeah you'll only see 4gb there, last year I had a similar setup both on 32 bit, except Red Hat and Apache, 1000 users at exam time is plausable and I always found the the DB was the bottle neck, I tried the performance tweaks in this forum but the load was just too much, I see your going for clustering on the DB will this be active/active using master-master or what way are you planning it?

This year I'm on 4 nodes, 2 for the web front end and two for the database, I'm replicating the database using master slave but am too afraid to do master/master and have clients loadbalanced over the two, so its just a hot standby that the load balancer will switch to if it doesn't hear a heartbeat for the master.

I have a question related to the load balancing over two http servers- what are the moodle applcation requirements here? there is some stuff on clustering in this forum but nothing relates to the application itself-

e.g do you have to rsync a single moodle install across both servers - do any files in /moodle change?

do you install a single moodle app in a shared location(san)?

what about file locking in /moodle & /moodledata?

Install 2 moodle apps (same build) and keep /moodledata on san and use sticky sessions?

Sorry don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm seeing a massive speed increase this year using 64bit RHEL for both db and httpd, with only 4gb ram, I'd recommend using a software loadbalancer for the DB if its going to be an active active cluster.

Rob.