Installing Moodle 2.0 on godaddy shared server, stuck at data directory location on Confirm Paths page.

Installing Moodle 2.0 on godaddy shared server, stuck at data directory location on Confirm Paths page.

by Rich Brennan -
Number of replies: 25

I am trying to install Moodle 2.0 on my godaddy Linux sharedhosting account. I uploaded the latest version into my sanbox directory. Yes, Iwant to experiment with Moodle 2.0. I chose English as the language and then Iam brought to the Confirm Paths page. The path I have selectedis…html/sandbox2/moodle/moodledata.

I manually created the moodledata folder in the moodlefolder. The owner permissions are set for read, write, and execute, while theweb user permissions are not set to read, write or execute.

My PHP is version 5.2.8

MySQL database is version 5.0.67

I have installed a .htaccess file in the moodledata folder.

The text in the .htaccess file is:

order deny,allow

deny from all

I have also tried the following text in the.htaccess file:

deny from all

AllowOverride None

Note: this file is broken intentionally, we do not wantanybody to undo it in subdirectory!

This information was copied from the .htaccess fileinstalled by the automated install of Moodle 1.9.5 by the hosting company onanother account.

Neither of these solutions seems to work for me. When Iclick on the continue button I get an error message in red text that says: Datarootlocation is not secure.

I cannot get past this page to continue the installation, norcan I find any help documents that address my problem in the forums.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Rich Brennan

Re: Installing Moodle 2.0 on godaddy shared server, stuck at data directory location on Confirm Paths page.

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Petr made the current check very paranoid. Can you really not put the datarood outside the webroot? I don't know about godaddy, but other web hosts I have used have always had a structure like
{homedir}/www/ for the files apache serves. The correct way to do things is to make folders {homedir}/moodledata, and {homedir}/www/moodle. (www is sometimes httpd or htdocs or ...).
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Installing Moodle 2.0 on godaddy shared server, stuck at data directory location on Confirm Paths page.

by Rich Brennan -
Tim,

Godaddy support has told me that I cannot place the dataroot outside of the webroot. I can adjust the permissions on the folders to accommodate any security issues. I have attached a screen shot of their help file regarding the absolute path for their shared linux hosting. Any folder added to their site must come after the html folder, which I believe would be the webroot, would you agree? As you can see by the path, the Moodle directory would come after the html directory.

My other thought is putting the moodledata directory after the html folder and limit permissions but I think i tried that earlier and had no success. Any additional thoughts from you or anyone else ready this post?

If this is the case, what are people who have shared hosting accounts with Godaddy and possibly other providers going to do when Moodle 2.0 is released?
Attachment godaddy_absolute_path.JPG
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
So you cannot create a folder inside /modle/content/j/o/h/johndoe? Or in some other folder elsewhere? Weird.

You and I know the .htaccess file makes things secure, however, the Moodle install script is not able to work this out.

Probably the only way to get Moodle 2.0 install right now is to hack the install script. Find the place in install.php where it says

} else if (is_dataroot_insecure()) {

and change it to

} else if (false and is_dataroot_insecure()) {
Average of ratings: Useful (4)
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Rich Brennan -
Tim,
That did the trick, a big THANK YOU for your help. smile

On a side note, there was a check box for something called "unix socket", do you know what that was for? I left it unchecked and the support people at Godaddy wouldn't offer an explanation. Should that have been checked or left unchecked?
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Tim Hunt -
It is a technical thing about how Moodle connects to the database. If you don't know what it means, leave it at the default wink
In reply to Tim Hunt

by David Yarwood -

Many thanks Tim.

Worked for me.

In reply to Rich Brennan

by Jay Melton -
Hi Rich,

I'm just curious, does GoDaddy allow cron jobs now? I decided not to use their hosting services because they did not allow cron jobs about five years ago.

Jay
In reply to Jay Melton

by DeWayne Demland -
I have been with GoDaddy for several years, long story short, I am changing to Moodle. I have played with it locally and love how it works. I was to install it on my hosted service with GoDaddy. Two questions, what is a cronjob? and do you install it on the windows server or Linux? I know nothing of Linux and am somewhat familar with Windows of coarse. Does one work better than the other in this setting?I am also using Moodle 1.9.
In reply to Jay Melton

by R Ullrich -
Yes, they do have Cron jobs now.
In reply to Jay Melton

by Rich Brennan -
Hi Jay,

Yes, they do allow cron jobs now. The option to run a cron job can be found in the Control Panel/Center. The options are to run it hourly, daily, weekly, or monthly.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Amir Elion -
How did you get the php version to be 5.2.8?
I also want to set up a moodle 2.0 test site on my godaddy shared linux, and the php version is 5.2.5.
In reply to Amir Elion

by DeWayne Demland -
If you go to your control panel on Godaddy there is an option that allows you to change to PHP 5.x. It took me a week to get my moodle installed on Godaddy. I did have success after about 9 calls to tech support. There are a lot of things that they do that cause more work of us that use moodle. I will be changing my hosting services when I am able to. I would not recommend them to any one, they do have extremely poor customer service. Now if you want to do business on there terms you will work fine with them.

Added note, I could not install Moodle 1.9, I had to go to the Godaddy install link andf have the Godaddy servers do it. I found out that although I have 25 databases that I set up, you must have Godaddy set them up. The do not allow any users to do it on the Linex servers.
In reply to DeWayne Demland

by Amir Elion -
Thanks for your info.
I am not sure I want to get into the support ping-pong talks in order to get moodle 2.0 for testing and curiousity purposes only at this stage.
I do have php 5.2.5 on the shared linux but I read somewhere that they only offer 5.2.8 for new hosting plans on new servers.

By the way I was able to do both on the shared linux hosting there - use their automatic installation, and also set up a mysql database myself and install a different instance of moodle...
In reply to Amir Elion

by DeWayne Demland -
how did you install a different instance of moodle? I would be very interested in that.
In reply to DeWayne Demland

by Amir Elion -
It wasn't much of a problem really.
I started a new subdomain on my domain.
The first one was on moodle.mydomain.com
The second testmoodle.mydomain.com

I started a blank mysql database. and ran the moodle install on the second subdomain with no trouble at all.
In reply to Amir Elion

by DeWayne Demland -
Thank you, I am looking to do a second one.
In reply to Amir Elion

by Jon Fila -
Amir, if you're still following this, how did you change your php 5.2.5 to 5.2.8 as is required for Moodle 2.0? I tried installing it and received an error message because it said I'm only running 5.2.5. I don't see anywhere I can upgrade to the newer version.

It only gives me the option of 5.x and when I select it it says I'm already running it and I get no change.
In reply to Jon Fila

by Jon Fila -
GoDaddy's response is that they are running 5.2.8. Anyone know why the install error message would tell me why I'm running 5.2.5 then?
In reply to Jon Fila

by Jon Fila -
GoDaddy's response is that they are running 5.2.8. Anyone know why the install error message would tell me why I'm running 5.2.5 then?
In reply to Jon Fila

by Jon Fila -
Got my answer from GoDaddy. The first one was wrong.

In order to support PHP version 5.2.8 your hosting account will need to be migrated to a different server. The fastest and easiest way to complete this migration is to enable SSH on your hosting account. SSH is a secure method of connecting to your hosting account to upload files, move files, and execute commands. When you enable SSH, it is enabled for the primary FTP user associated with the account. To SSH to your Linux Shared Hosting account, you need to enable SSH within the Hosting Control Center.

Looks like I won't be trying it for a few months.
In reply to Rich Brennan

by Sterling Uy -

@ Rich Brenan,

My reply is 2 years later but if this will help other people subscribing to godaddy's linux shared hosting, I will post it here.

4GH hosting

PHP 5.2.17

You can bypass this and sucessfully install moodle 2.0.3, I did.

I was experimenting and previously was able to install moodle but when I was creating a new instance, I also encountered the same problem.

Solution: (in the Confirm paths of moodle installation)

You will need to create a subdomain and use the subdomain to activate the install instance.

in your case you might have typed "http://www.yourdomain.com/html/sandbox2/moodle/install.php" to run the install program.

instead create a "moodle.yourdomain.com" subdomain and type "http://www.moodle.yourdomain.com/install.php" instead to install moodle.

I have double checked it and it worked.

But of course this is just to bypass it but you will still need to set the permissions of that moodle data folder to make it secure.

Hope this helps other people who is having the same problems.

Sterling

In reply to Sterling Uy

by Mende Sugare -

HELP !

I'm using Moodle 2.1.2+ on my localhost and everuthing is great. 

Now I want to transfer the moodle to GoDaddy so i took this steps 

- create moodle folder in root directory ( upload the moodle contect from my localhost)

- create moodledata folder in the root ( upload the content from the localhost)

- Create DB called moodlle321

open the config.php  and I rewrite the 

$CFG->dbtype = 'mysqli';
$CFG->dblibrary = 'native';
$CFG->dbhost = 'moodlle321.db.7728970.hostedresource.com';
$CFG->dbname = 'moodlle321';
$CFG->dbuser = 'moodlle321';
$CFG->dbpass = '********';
$CFG->prefix = 'mdl_';
$CFG->dboptions = array (
'dbpersist' => 0,
'dbsocket' => 0,
);

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://bitolapromo.com/moodle';
$CFG->dataroot = '/home/content/70/7728970/html/moodledata';
$CFG->admin = 'admin';

/home/content/70/7728970/html -  is my absolute path to my server 

NOW when I go to my site  -  www.bitolapromo.com/moodle the moodle is opening but the pictures from the theme are not there ust the frontpage of the moodle 

If I try to login I get BLANK PAGE 

HELP !

In reply to Mende Sugare

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Mende,

You dont´t mention having backuped and restored the database, only creating it. Anyway, it seems you missed a step in your migration process, that is, the "Change your Moodle URL":

http://docs.moodle.org/21/en/Moodle_migration

If you check the URL of your front page images (on.jpg, iro.bmp, urm.png), they are still pointing to "http://localhost/moodle", that is why you must change your Moodle URL as described in the above document.

Also, the value of the wwwroot parameter should be 'http://www.bitolapromo.com/moodle' (with the "www"), like so:

$CFG->wwwroot = 'http://www.bitolapromo.com/moodle';

In reply to Guillermo Madero

by Mende Sugare -

Hi Guillermo 

Thank you for your replay , I found the problem I was usig PHP 5.2 , I upgrade to 5.3 now the moodle is working , but I can only login us administrator , other users still get me to blank page after I login , any sugestions 

Best Regards 

Mende 

In reply to Mende Sugare

by Guillermo Madero -

Hi Mende,

I logged in as guest, both the first time and right now, and the page displayed OK in each case (except for the images, but I already gave you the solution for that). So, maybe your users have some kind of restriction (e.g. a browser or a firewall configuration) that is causing the problem.