Aardvark (Newbury College Theme Set) - Alpha 0.3 (Previously Aspire)

Re: Aardvark (Newbury College Theme Set) - Alpha 0.3 (Previously Aspire)

by Patrick Malley -
Number of replies: 32
Some general positive feedback:

1.) Linking the date to the calendar is simple and intuitive. Perfect.

2.) The profile block is brilliant.

3.) The footer is a nice touch, too.

One thought:

Try adding the following to styles_fonts.css:

body,p,th,td,li,.sideblock .content {line-height:1.4;}

The difference in the default line spacing across the page drives me nuts.
In reply to Patrick Malley

by Shaun Daubney -
Done (for next release)!
In reply to Shaun Daubney

by Gerrard Shaw -
Hi Shaun,

Theme looks great, the user info section at the top looks particularly nice... top stuff!

We've been using the Newbury theme on our Moodle site, looks really good but there's one issue that's caused us a lot of problems and that's the jquery menu. It seems to conflict with other scripts e.g. lightbox gallery and was wondering if there's another type of menu that might be a bit easier to work with?

Looking forward to the full release of this theme... keep up the good work big grin
In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Shaun Daubney -

Hi Gerrard,

This new theme uses pure CSS for the menu which should solve your problems. I've still copied over the JQuery from the old one, but will test it without because I don't think it's needed, I'm sure I just copied over 'in case'.

Shaun

by Ray Lawrence -
Nice theme. smile

When I login using the login block fields all is OK.

When I try the same using the fields in theme header, I get a 404 error at www.mysite.co.uk/login/index.php My site is at http://www.mysite.co.uk/directory.
In reply to Ray Lawrence

by Shaun Daubney -

I may have fixed it, I think there was some http/https and other issues going on with it, try this one and see how you get on. Having spoken to Patrick about possible "unsuitablitiy" issues people may have with this theme and the fact I'm off for my summer hols next week cool, this project may be put to sleep before BETA stage, I will still develop it for out internal use here at College and peeps are still welcome to get involved if you want, but we'll see. smile

Download Alpha 0.4 here

Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by Chris Delaney -
Thanks Shaun,

The header login now seems to be working fine in Alpha 0.4 - I have tested in both Chrome and Firefox and love it!!

Nice job.

Chris
In reply to Chris Delaney

by Shaun Daubney -

Thanks Chris. It's always the little things that are missed. To be honest I've never done anything with PHP, never anything with CSS until I installed Moodle, so I'm learning as I go along - and making good use of Google smile

by Gerrard Shaw -

Hi Shaun,

Just tried the new release and it works fine with lightbox gallery now... chances are I'll be going for this on our Moodle site as it as due to the jquery fix and the clean look.

Only thing I'm wondering that I can't set on this theme is how to change the top logo to a larger width one? On the previous Newbury sets I found the code in header.html and made a larger image that faded to transparent (see http://moodle.myvle.org/redbridge for what I did with it)

Found a similar bit of code on the aardvark theme...

<?php print_container_start(true, '', 'header'); ?>
        <div class="headermain" id="header-home"><a href="<?php echo $CFG->wwwroot.'/' ?>" style="display: block; width: 247px; height: 96px;"><div id="logo"></div>
</a></div>

Tried changing the 247 to a larger number but it didn't make any difference... has the layout changed on the aardvark compared to how it was before?

Edit: just tried on my IIS web server and the code change seems to do the trick... stupid localhost Apache server doesn't reflect changes to files!

Cheers,

Gerrard

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Shaun Daubney -
Problem solved them?

by Sara Valla -
I did not understand if problem is solved... I do not manage to put larger images, even changing that code and width in header.html... I
In reply to Sara Valla

by Liam Rutherford -
I am still unable to add in a bigger logo. Can we please have some instructions on how to do this please.

From Liam

by Chris Delaney -
Shaun (and others)

Just a question or two, in the Newbury Theme you could have subcategories in the menubar? Is this possible in Aardvark?

Second, I've noticed in your Newbury Moodle site, small gaps between some of the menu items. See
http://vle.newbury-college.ac.uk/ If I insert
I get a larger gap, what code have you used for these small breaks?

Cheers

Chris

by Gerrard Shaw -
Unsuitability? It's the best Moodle theme I've seen so far, please don't abandon it now!
In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by John Szkudlapski -
i agree.
In reply to John Szkudlapski

by Gerrard Shaw -
Just realised although the code change works if I increase the image size over 300px or so it kicks the profile area onto another line... is there any way to add a larger top background image or is it only able to do a 247px logo?
In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Frank Ralf -
Hi Gerrard,

You might have a look at http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=128599 whether that solves your problem.

hth
Frank
In reply to Frank Ralf

by Gerrard Shaw -

Just been doing a bit of work on the menu and managed to style it in a very similar theme to the old jquery one from the original Newbury theme... can put the code up if interested?

3d style menu

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Chris Delaney -
Gerrard,

I'd be interested in what you've done..... although I'm pretty new to all this theme stuff so if you can explain where I need to put any code changed that would be helpful.

Cheers

by Gerrard Shaw -

Hi Chris,

I'll upload my version of the aardvard_topmenu.css along with the replacement graphics files so it should be drag and drop over the originals basically smile

Edit: forum doesn't allow multiple attachments... email me and I'll send the graphics files over...

gerrard.shaw AT redbridge-iae.ac.uk

Just noticed the imagevenue link is broken so re-done from Photobucket...

3d menu style

Cheers,

Gerrard

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Liam Rutherford -
Hi there Gerrard,

I cannot seem to find the line of code that changes the colours of the menu bar.

Can you help please?

In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Shaun Daubney -

Gerrard,

I will email you the working version for our use, because I've modified the header so it's not as clinical and 'standard'. But I can't post it. smile

This is what I changed to adjust the logo. Actually the logo is now transparent (void) and the header-home contains the graphic I wanted to use.

#logo {

/*background: url('images/default/logo.png') no-repeat left top; */

height: 90px;

}

#header {

background: url('images/default/header-grad.jpg') repeat-x;

height: 107px;

}

#header-home {

background: url('images/default/summer09.png') no-repeat left top;

width: 398px;

}

Shaun

Attachment Untitled-3.jpg

by Shaun Daubney -

Problem spotted by Gerrard in IE8 and FF with aligning the two DIVs in the header...

FIXED Add…

aardvark_layout.css

.header-profileblock {

float:right;

text-align:right;

position: absolute;

right: 0px;

}

aardvark_default.css

#header-home {

background: url('images/default/summer09.png') no-repeat left top;

width: 398px;

position: absolute;

left: 0px;

}

by Gerrard Shaw -

Found an issue with IE7 on my 3D menu mod at the weekend, changed the wdith to fixed pixels rather than percentages and it display perfectly now. See attached css file (replaces all previous versions)

Might not be that much of an issue these days but if you need the theme to display on a 9" eeePC screen remove the last menu block item (i.e. have 5 instead of 6) from topmenu.php as on really small screens it kicks the menu onto two lines

by Sara Valla -
It would really be a pity, I think there are not so many themes interesting like this one... pls just think about it before leaving it...

by Juan Nunez -

Hi Shaun,

This is a wonderful interface for moodle, it completely changes the feel.  It will surely draw in our students for our local TSA chapter, tstemtsa.me/moodle. 

My issue is the integreation of Lightbox Gallery and the Aardvark Theme.  When the image opens up, it shows the topmenu listings through the picture.  Any reply of similar results, suggestions, or if its just me issue would be greatly appreciated. 

I'll try not to be a newb and figure out how to force the menu items to stay in the background when Lightbox kicks in.  Just wanted to leave my students with a site they could customize themselves without any big issues.  Thanks.

In reply to Juan Nunez

by Chris Delaney -
Juan,

I've had a similar problem, but unable to find a solution.

by Juan Nunez -

Chris,

Thank you for your response, just wanted to make sure I wasn't the only one.  Good to know it might go deeper than my current level. 

The support here is great, I'm going to round-up some CSS Web design books to read on my spare time to assist.  It will be good reading for my mind, and keep me from going crazy with all the student orientated activities I have going on. I don't want to feel too old and behind the times smile.

Thanks.

In reply to Juan Nunez

by Barbara Lawrence -
I also have the problem with the topmenu items showing through the lightbox gallery images. Has anyone found a solution?
In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Barbara Lawrence -
I think I have found the answer: in aardvark_top_menu.css the z-index values range from 1000 - 9999, but in the lightboxgallery files they range from 2 - 200. So I added 10000 to all the z-index values in the lightbox gallery. The files involved are lightbox.css, cropper.css, styles.php.

(amended files only included in zip file)
In reply to Barbara Lawrence

by Chris Delaney -
SENSATIONAL Barbara!

Well done, high 5 for you!

by Gerrard Shaw -
Hi Barbara,

Just tried your fix on our site, sorts out the menu issue but my gallery seems to have gone a bit odd layout-wise; all images appear one underneath the other instead of in rows of 7-8 as they did before.

What version of lightbox are you running? Maybe I need to update mine as it's not been touched for a few months?
In reply to Gerrard Shaw

by Gerrard Shaw -
Just checked Moodle and we were running an old version, update sorted it out. Thanks for the fix big grin