Security and privacy

Picture of s n
Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students

hi there

we installed a moodle system on our servers a while back (version 1.8.9) and we noticed that the participants list is available to see by any logged in student.

That is to say, that every student that logs in can see a full list of all of the registered students.

We were able to turn off most of the details (columns of that table) from the User Policies admin screen:
/admin/settings.php?section=userpolicies
Hide user fields (chose all)

Is there a way to hide even the First Name/Surname column? This is not an option on the same admin screen.

Better yet, is there a way to deny access to a user listing all together? I think we'd rather not have the "user picture" available either.

We don't quite see any benefit in someone being able to see the list of enrolled student accounts.

Thank you for your support - looking forward to any suggestions

Average of ratings: -
Picture of Helen Foster
Re: Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Hi,

One solution would be to set the group mode of your courses to separate groups then arrange students in groups with just one student in each group. (I assume you've considered simply deleting the people block.)

Picture of s n

Well, i'm not really sure what you mean by "deleting the people block", but the problem with the other suggestion is that we get new students that sign up all the time. Which means that we would be creating a 1 student group constantly (if indeed i understand what you're suggesting).

I can't imagine this system not having an elegant way of hiding the student listing or at least disabling it for the rest of the students.

Picture of s n

Oh ... the people block is not displayed at all on the right side.

The way the student listing is accessed is by clicking the student's name and then clicking "Participants" in the top navigation breadcrum.

-----------------------------

Course name > Participants > current user

-----------------------------

Picture of Teresa Gibbison
Group Moodle Course Creator Certificate holdersGroup TestersGroup Translators
Hi there
Another alternative is to override the Student's permissions/roles to view the block.
With editing on click the 'Assign roles' icon (face with mask) on the block then click Override Permissions and Select the Student role (or other appropriate role). That role's permissions are displayed, the white box indicates their current or normal permission. In this case click 'Prevent' so the student's don't see the block.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa

Picture of s n

Thank you much for the very clear explanation. However, turning the prevent overrride on for the student group, did not solve the problem.

I even tried the prohibit option - still nothing.

I'm looking into editing the code right now.

Picture of skanda pm

I found this very useful. Thanks.

Picture of s n

Hey everyone! I figured it out !!!
>> Administration block / Assign roles / Override roles.

When browsing the Participants list, the Student has access to 3 tabs at the top: Profile/Edit Profile/Forums.

Problem:
The student has access to the Participants link. This link is available on all 3 tabs: Profile/Edit Profile/Forums

1. I blocked everything in the "Forum" section (as we do not have that functionality anyway). This took care of not displaying the "Forum" tab at all - thus eliminating the link in the navigation breadcrum.

2. The other 2 sections (profile/edit profile) are linked - meaning they use the same breadcrum.

I edited the following file: /moodle/lib/weblib.php (lines 3057 and down) this is where the link in the breadcrum is generated.

ADD THE FOLLOWING CONDITION:
if ($url != "index.php?id=2")
             - display regular (unchanged) $output line
else
             - display link with no URL

ACTUAL CODE:
==================
if ($url != "index.php?id=2") {
      $output .= '<li class="first3">'."$separator\n<a ".$CFG->frametarget.' onclick="this.target=\''.$CFG->framename.'\'" href="'
                           .$url.'">'."$title</a>\n</li>\n";
     }
     else {
      $output .= '<li class="first">'."$separator\n<a ".$CFG->frametarget.'>'."$title</a>\n</li>\n";
     }
==================

Gotta love open source!!!

NOTE:
I'm sure with a little digging around in the override screen, we could get away without having to edit the code. But hey - that's why it's open source, right?

Thanks for your input though

Picture of s n

Worked like charm ... and i can't figure out how to un-subscribe from this forum listing, so i'm updating this big grin

Head
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Visit this link: http://moodle.org/mod/forum/index.php?id=5 and you can subscribe and unsubscribe from all of the forums in this course...

Jon

Picture of cylinda dominguez

s n,

How did you disable the Forum? I was able to remove Blogs in Administration, but I can't find where to remove Forums?

Also, working on removing Participants in the breadcrumb, but having trouble figuring out where to place your hack exactly in the weblib.php file. Not sure where the breadcrumb is generated?

Ed Beckmann

Hi

I see this has been solved but wonder why a very simple solution was not used unless I misunderstood - I think this will work for you:

student role has a permission to 'View Participants' in the course part of the permissions list. Just change is from allow to prevent. It is then irrelevant what route is used to find a link to participants (breadcrumb, people block etc.), the students just can't do it.

You can achieve this at site level in admin > users > permissions > define roles > edit.

You can do it at course level in admin block > assign roles > override permissions > student ..

That way you do not need to amend the core code. smile

Cheers

Ed

Picture of Luc Richard

This option would be ideal but doesn't appear to work (at least not in Moodle 1.9.7). Students can still view the full list of participants.

Shark Jump

Ed is right.  I was able to do this without hacking any code.  The trick was I had to change the view participant setting to prohibit for both student and authenticated user profile.  Seems like there is an inheritance issue that required me to change both settings.  Thanks Ed. 

Eric

Picture of Tamara Cowling
M 2.0 Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students

Does anyone know how to hide the enrolled student list for a course from the all students (the rest of the school) in Moodle 2.0?

The list is showing under the course summaries, and I can't find the right switch to turn it off. I don't mind the teacher showing, but want to protect the privacy of students.

Picture of Helen Foster
Re: M 2.0 Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students
Group DevelopersGroup Documentation writersGroup Moodle HQGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

Hi Tamara,

Please check that the student role hasn't been ticked by mistake in Site administration > Appearance > Course Contacts.

Picture of Tamara Cowling
Re: M 2.0 Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students

Perfect. Thank you Helen.

I knew it would be something simple and I appreciate you pointing me in the right direction clown

here is my current college avatar
Re: Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students Update for 2.1
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers

I know this is an old post.   I did not students to see other students in the course navigation menu under "Participants".  

I changed the site level permissions for all  students.  side administration > Users > Permisssion > Define roles > students. I found "moodle/course:viewparticipants"  and set it to prevent.  If I wanted an exception to this (or any) site permission policy, I would use the override function within the context I wanted. 

Thus, if I wanted this to apply to only one course, then I would not change the site wide default of allow.  I would use the override permission feature for that course context.

Hope this helps others.  I was looking for a way in 2.1.   Chris

Picture of Jen Andes
Re: Deny access to/Hide participant listing when logged in - enrolled students Update for 2.1

Hi Chris,

This is great! However, it still displayed the profile of the current user. I'm thinking of removing the Participant navigation totally.

Hope I can find some answer. smile

Picture of Sarah Jane

Hi Guys,

I had the same issue and followed the suggestions above and managed to clear the view participants. I think I had the same issue as it was 'not set' in authenticated user as soon as I placed this as prohibit.

However all this has done is hide the participants rather than hidding or removing the "participants" link for the students.

Any suggestions please

Sarah x

Picture of James D

This option removes the visibility of every participant in the course.

Shouldn't groups control the visibility of users in the course?

We have Moodle 2.5.3 and users are in groups. However, if the student clicks on participants or messages, they can see all users in the course even those not in their group.