QuizPort - little things

QuizPort - little things

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 7
Hi again,

1. In both the QuizPort Units I uploaded to your site, I'd included a html block (with a link to the Instructions (consignes) in French. This was not included when restored. Is that normal?

2. A typo: On the editing page, in the Show columns dropdown menu, "Conditons"

3. A few versions of QuizPort ago, when returning to a QuizPort a student was presented with a "Please choose one of the following" as in the screencast below where Exercises 1 and 2 have already been done but Exercise 3 not yet. Each exercise had the pre-condition of doing the previous quiz. I don't see this now.

What I would really like in this situation, is for the student to see in blue (linked) the exercises they have already and the one they are about to do, and to see the others grey out and not linked. This way they would have a clear idea of where they are in the Unit. Would it be really difficult?

In the Lesson Module, there's a red line across the bottom of the page which increases in length as the student progresses through the Module. I know it's a bit of a gimmick, but I'm sure students like it.

4. Where can you change the comments the student sees at the end of the unit (if they've been selected)? Some of the ones you've put in make me laugh, big grinbut they might not always be appropriate.

Attachment 25-07-2009_14-19-13.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: QuizPort - little things

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Glenys,

> 1. ... I'd included a html block

Do you mean on the entry page or was it a seperate html file?

> This was not included when restored. Is that normal?

No that doesn't sound normal. After restore, everything should be the same as in the QuizPort that was backed up. I will have a look.

> 2. ... conditons

Thanks for pointing out the typo.

> 3 What I would really like in this situation, is for the student to see in blue (linked) the exercises they have already and the one they are about to do, and to see the others grey out and not linked.

I think it is has already been done. If you add a post-condition which says "Show menu of all quizzes". I think the quizzes they can do are shown as links, and the ones they can't are plain text.

> 4. Where can you change the comments the student sees at the end of the unit

The comments are in the QuizPort language file:
  • mod/quizport/lang/en_utf8/quizport.php
If you move that file to lang/en_utf8/quizport.php then you can edit it through the Moodle menus: Site administration -> Language -> Language editing -> Edit words or phrases -> quizport.php

Otherwise, you can look at the file in the QuizPort zip download and put a copy of it in the your moodledata folder. Do you have access to your moodledata folder on the server? I think you need to put it in moodledata/lang/en_utf8_local/quizport.

The strings you wish to change are:
  • $string['exit_whatnext_0'] = 'What would you like to do next?';
  • $string['exit_whatnext_1'] = 'Choose your destiny ...';
  • $string['exit_whatnext_default'] = 'Please choose one of the following:';
FYI, the "whatnext" message is not displayed if there is only one link listed on the choices a student can click on. You can control which choices are listed by change the "Exit options" ono the QuizPort's settings page.

cheers
Gordon
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -

Hi Gordon,

Do you mean on the entry page or was it a separate html file?

The screenshot below explains what I did.

> 3 What I would really like in this situation, is for the student to see in blue (linked) the exercises they have already and the one they are about to do, and to see the others grey out and not linked.

I think it is has already been done. If you add a post-condition which says "Show menu of all quizzes". I think the quizzes they can do are shown as links, and the ones they can't are plain text.

That seems to be exactly what I want... but I can't get it to work. I'll download the latest QuizPort and try again. I see there's now a help file which explains all the Post-conditions. smile It's not so obvious that a menu would be in a list of Post-conditions. thoughtful

> 4. Where can you change the comments the student sees at the end of the unit

The comments are in the QuizPort language file:
  • mod/quizport/lang/en_utf8/quizport.php
I know Administrators can do that, but what about Teachers? I can't imagine my university Administrators accepting to make such changes. And what if different Teachers want different comments on the same Moodle site? Well, I must admit I took the easy option of having the defaults just to see what they were, now I understand I should write my own Exit page.
_____

When you say that QuizPort (under a different name) will be the successor to the Hot Potatoes Module, I assume that doesn't mean the Hot Pot Module will suddenly disappear. Am I right? Or will we have to recreate the courses made with the Hot Pot Module? It also seems to me much easier for beginners to start with the Hot Pot Module and progress to QuizPort.

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment 25-07-2009_19-54-59.png
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Dear Glenys,
thanks for the clarification.

> The screenshot below explains what I did.

Ah I see. You meant, well, an html block. Sorry to be slow! I am not 100% sure how blocks get backed up and restored, especially blocks on module pages. I don't think it is the responsibility of the module to back those blocks up, but I'll have to take a closer look.

> It's not so obvious that a menu would be in a list of Post-conditions.

Perhaps I didn't explain it very well. Does it seem OK to you to think in terms of each post-condition specifying not only a condition but also what to display if that condition is satisfied? The next thing to display is often a quiz, but it can also be a menu of available quizzes. How does that sound?

> I can't get it to work

Oh dear. I'll have a look.

> And what if different Teachers want different comments on the same Moodle site?

That is a limitation of Moodle, I think. Currently, you cannot have different text messages for different courses - although it would be nice. The idea could be taken further and have different messages for each QuizPort, but then you might just as well set a different "Exit page text" on the QuizPort's settings page.

> now I understand I should write my own Exit page.

Yes, then you can get exactly what you want. If you have the multi-language filter enabled on your Moodle site, then you can make sure the text appears in the student's preferred language.

> When you say that QuizPort (under a different name)
> will be the successor to the Hot Potatoes Module,
> I assume that doesn't mean the Hot Pot Module will suddenly disappear.

That's right. There is a conversion script waiting in the wings. It takes a while to run if there are lots of HotPots and lots of attempts, but I have tested it on some very large sites and it completes the job successfully if given enough time. HotPots that are in "chains", where the head HotPot is visible on the course page and the rest are hidden, then those HotPots will be added into a single QuizPort activity.

thanks as always for the feedback
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Glenys,
looks like blocks should get backed up automatically, as long as the module tells Moodle which of its pages can contain blocks.

I am just checking to make sure QuizPort does the right thing here ...

by Gordon Bateson -
Glenys,
I found a few things that combined to prevent the blocks on a QuizPort page being backed up.

Those issues are fixed and the modified scripts will be available in the next QuizPort zip download. However, I would like to fix a few more things before I create a new zip, so please wait a couple more days.

thanks for alerting me to the backup/restore of blocks
Gordon

by Gordon Bateson -
Glenys,
regarding post-conditions with a setting of "Show a menu of quizzes", this does seem to work at all. There is space in the script to add the code, but looks like that functionality is not actually available at the moment.

I will try to add it in and include it in the next QuizPort zip file.

regards
Gordon