Quiz student can self grade

Quiz student can self grade

{$a->নাম} - {$a->তারিখ} দ্বারা
Number of replies: 13

What we are hoping to develop is a modified quiz module where a series of essay type questions can be asked as normal and the text editor is available for students to write their answers.

On submit all feedback is given as standard, however within our feedback we will give the answer and a guide of how to mark the particular question.

It is this where they determine the score and we need a drop down box for them to grade themselves.

An additional feature will be for a tutor to review and moderate scores should the tutor feel that the student graded too high or low.

q1

Above example is how it currently is, with the idea for their option to grade from the instructions.

q2

Above circle is what the tutor marked, but having this modification would then show there score and as seen under the green bar is what the tutor would grade it as.

Currently using Moodle 1.8.8+

We are willing to pay for this modification, please send me details of pricing.

Thanks,

Mike.

রেটিং এর গড়: -
In reply to Mike Shields

Re: Quiz student can self grade

Hi Mike,
I use student self grading in Moodle since long time. Here is how:

You have to create 2 Moodle questions for each question : the first question is an essay question as you stated with appropriate feedback and the second is a multiple choice. You also should use the 2 questions per page option.

The setting for the quiz should be multiple attempts with each attempt builds on the last. ( Possible drawback : Not all questions types refresh their content with that option, some testing required here. )

The grading method should be last attempt without penalty. You don't grade the essay questions but the choices of the multiple choice questions must match to the grades that the student will have to choose.

As with any Moodle test, the teacher will have the opportunity to Make comment or override grade.

I hope I have understood correctly your needs and that I don't stop developpers to make their living with a free solution.

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard

In reply to Bernard Boucher

Hi Berndard,

That's an excellent suggestion, and no coding needed aswell. Looks really straight forward. I will perform some testing as you suggested an provide feedback if i encounter any issues.

Thanks
Steve
In reply to Steve Bilton

This method seems to work well, haven't found any real issues as yet, although a drop down selection box would be prefered.

One thing is i do not see the option to show X number of questions per page, but this is probably a 1.9 moodle feature. Do you know of a way i could hack this up to show two questions per page?

More testing tomorrow.....

Steve
In reply to Steve Bilton

Hi Steve,
the options to get X questions per pages are available since many years ( my old Moodle 1.6.1 offer it ).

For example if you go to moodle demo course

http://demo.moodle.org/mod/quiz/edit.php?cmid=228

and log as admin with demo as password you will see at the bottom left of the screen the 2 options :

Show page breaks
Show the reordering tool

Someting to try চোখ টিপ

I hope it may help.

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard

Hi Bernard,

Thanks for that, I knew I'd seen the option in the past, but not seen it with Ajax before.

In my opinion I don't like the option to display a certain number of questions per page.
My reasoning being that the button to 'Submit all and finish' is displayed at the bottom of each page.

In my past experience students tend to click the submit all and finish button, usually on the first page or one of the consecutive pages. Students simply read submit all and think it is for only the questions on that particular page. This results in students accidentally completing the quiz and only answering a small portion of the quiz questions.

My main gripe is with the language used 'submit all and finish' should perhaps be something like 'Submit entire Quiz' or 'Submit all quiz answers'. Although I have changed the lang strings in the past the problem was still observed by our tutors.

I actually ended up removing the "submit page" & "save without submitting" buttons and NOT using adaptive mode to remove those 3 extra options as it was causing such a large issue, which i struggle to understand why, but then again I do use Moodle on a daily basis হাসি.

I hope that when I restore these buttons (as I believe realistically I must for functionality) this doesn't confuse my poor students again.... sigh....

I would like to see an option to choose which buttons are displayed within individual quizzes / quiz pages.

Thanks again Bernard

Steve

Hi Bernard,

I see what you mean about matching the grades for the options.

Do you know if i can edit the array that contains the percent values that are chosen to reflect the grade?

i.e When editing the choice question there are too few percent values to choose from.

Answer
Grade
100 % 90 % 80 % 75 % 70 % 66.666 % 60 % 50 % 40 % 33.333 % 30 % 25 % 20 % 16.666 % 14.2857 % 12.5 % 11.111 % 10 % 5 % None -5 % -10 % -11.111 % -12.5 % -14.2857 % -16.666 % -20 % -25 % -30 % -33.333 % -40 % -50 % -60 % -66.666 % -70 % -75 % -80 % -90 % -100 %
Feedback

For instance I have question that is out of 8 marks. if a user scores 7 out of 8 marks that's equal to 87.5% which is not an option I can chose from the drop down grade selection box. the available grades I can select are as follows, but I want more grades available in percent :

<option value="1" selected="selected">100 %</option>
<option value="0.9">90 %</option>
<option value="0.8">80 %</option>
<option value="0.75">75 %</option>
<option value="0.7">70 %</option>
<option value="0.66666">66.666 %</option>
<option value="0.6">60 %</option>
<option value="0.5">50 %</option>
<option value="0.4">40 %</option>
<option value="0.33333">33.333 %</option>
<option value="0.3">30 %</option>
<option value="0.25">25 %</option>
<option value="0.2">20 %</option>
<option value="0.16666">16.666 %</option>
<option value="0.142857">14.2857 %</option>
<option value="0.125">12.5 %</option>
<option value="0.11111">11.111 %</option>
<option value="0.1">10 %</option>
<option value="0.05">5 %</option>
<option value="0">None</option>

Do you know where these values are stored so I can expand on them?

If I can't have more percent's then I have a lot of exam style questions that need a re-work on the grading syllabus মিশ্র
In reply to Steve Bilton

Hi Steve,
if you want particular percentage not included in the standard option you should create your "grading questions" by importing them via Moodle GIFT import format. Here is a link to some examples http://moodle.org/file.php/5/moddata/forum/121/236161/GIFT-examples.zip.

You may also refer to Moodle documentation http://docs.moodle.org/en/GIFT for more details about creating questions without Mooodle question editor.

I hope it may help.

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard

Re: Match Grade: Quiz student can self grade

Hi Bernard,

I've had a look at using the GIFT format for importing questions as you suggested.

This is what I did in a simple example question for those how are looking to do something similar.

In this question there are a total of 8 marks to be awarded. 7/8 marks = 87.5% which cannot be selected from the drop down selection box in Moodle question editor. To allow for this percent to be allotted to this answer simply use %87.5% to declare this value. Perform the same for any other values, first calculating the percent.

GIFT FORMAT EXAMPLE :

// question: 3851 name: Question LO 1.1 - Grade
::Question LO 1.1 - Grade::[html]<font size\="4">Please award yourself a grade for question LO 1.1 <br /><br /><br /> </font>{
=8 Marks# Congratulations! You scored 8 marks, that's 100% excellent.
~%87.5%7 Marks# Congratulation! you awarded yourself 6 marks.
~%75%6 Marks# Congratulation, you awarded yourself 6 marks.<br />
~%62.5%5 Marks# Well done, You awarded yourself 5 marks.
~%50%4 Marks# Well done! you awarded yourself 4 marks
~%37.5%3 Marks# You awarded yourself 3 marks
~%25%2 Marks# You awarded yourself 2 marks.
~%12.5%1 Mark# You awarded yourself1 mark, better luck next time.
~0 Marks# You awarded yourself zero mark, yikes! Better luck next time.
}

END EXAMPLE

----- Mid post update ---

After importing the questions I receive the following error message :

Parsing questions from import file.

Importing 3 questions from file

Grades do not match grade options - question skipped

Thanks very much for your assistance Bernard, but It doesn't seem to be accepting the new custom percent values.

Any ideas?

Thanks again

Steve
In reply to Steve Bilton

It states in the help file : /lang/en_utf8/help/matchgrades.html

Imported grades MUST match one of the fixed list of valid grades, as follows...

(allowed percent's here) and on to say :

Error f grade is not listed

If a question contains any grades not found in the list an error is displayed and that question will not be imported.

Nearest grade if not listed

If a grade is found that does not match a value in the list, the grade is changed to the closest matching value is the list.

NOTE: some custom import formats write directly to the database and may bypass this check

I take it this comment means that the percent values can be directly edited through the database, i.e. use phpMyAdmin to edit the values directly.

If this is possible that's great, but i cannot allow our tutors to use this method when they are importing/creating the questions. This would mean that a member of our technical team would have to amend the percent values directly.

I really need the tutors to be able to effectively create/upload questions without this technical hassle. Is there another way to get around this?

So if 'some custom import formats bypass this check' which formats would bypass the check? and i'll get the tutors to use one that actually works.

Also I do wonder why this check is necessary for GIFT formats?!?

Thanks for any help!

Steve

In reply to Steve Bilton

I managed to locate the code which stipulates the fixed list of valid grades so I can now expand on these.

Find the file /lib/questionlib.php lines 243-270 ish

Simply add the desired values in the array and HEY PRESTO!! more valid grades for use with GIFT import and from the question edit screen.

code looks like this :

/**
* Returns list of 'allowed' grades for grade selection
* formatted suitably for dropdown box function
* @return object ->gradeoptionsfull full array ->gradeoptions +ve only
*/
function get_grade_options() {
// define basic array of grades
$grades = array(

Haven't tested adding the values yet, but as far as i can tell this should be a doddle and should work.

Cheers

Steve

In reply to Steve Bilton

Ok now on to my next issue....

I want the students to answer the first essay style question and upon clicking the submit button the feedback instantly displayed. This feedback will provide the Marking Scheme.

When the student then answers the second question (the choose your own grade question) they will be able to see the feedback from the previously answered question and then use this to decide what grade they should award themselves based on the feedback.

The problem is that Quiz doesn't seem to work like this.

There are 3 types of feedback :
General Feedback
Feedback
and in the quiz settings :
Weighted Feedback

None of the three Feedback(s) are displayed upon clicking the submit button.
Feedback is only displayed once the whole exam has been submitted.

I want to alter this so at least one (or all) of the feedback(s) is instantly displayed upon submitting a single question/answer not just the whole Quiz.

I'll take a more in depth look at this tomorrow as it's getting on in the UK now.
Also I'm aware the changes will most likely have a site wide effect and I don't want it interfering with my mock exams or other quizzes in different courses.

If anyone has some suggestions they'd be most welcome হাসি

Thanks

Steve

Thank you very much for that tip Bernard! I really want to move more grading ( assessment ) into the hands of the learner (student). I use a lot of paper rubrics that act much like a golfer who scores herself/himself. Only My rubrics cover more than just the hits to get the ball in the hole, I want the self grader to note other measurements of a good golfer. Form, accuracy of each stroke, landing in sand traps etc. And I want the scoring to be built into moodle, so I don'thave to collect the paper rubrics and then sit for 30 minutes to key in the scores.

With your idea, I think I can move my rubrics from paper into a quiz with 2 questions per page. Yea!
In reply to Joe Rowe

Hi Joe,
sorry for the delay but happy to be usefull smile

Now with PDA and intelligents phones it is possible to imagine projets that will use integrated GPS to follow the golfer and confirm when they stop and where they really are cool

Salutations from Québec,

Bernard