Interesting Backup Problem

Interesting Backup Problem

by David Mark Weiss -
Number of replies: 15
What do you do if you have one course that won't back up. It goes throught the back up process, but when I FTP into the site directory, no new file is created as a backup. 1.9.5 Moodle.

What logs can one look at to tell where the failure is happening?

Other courses backup just fine.

Who can we hire as a Moodle consultant to help us trouble shoot this problem?

We have a large course we hate to lose.

Mark Weiss

Average of ratings: -
In reply to David Mark Weiss

Re: Interesting Backup Problem

by Ravishankar Somasundaram -
I am assuming you have scheduled course backups,

Login to the site as admin and go to Site Administration block -> Reports -> Backups

All the courses with their backup status will be listed there, see the status of your course

and refer thie given link , i have ran into problems based on backup and have written for moodlers how i solved it for who might face the same http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=124057#p543558

and reply whether it worked for you

Thank you
In reply to Ravishankar Somasundaram

by Helen Foster -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Hi Mark,

In addition to Ravishankar's advice, you may find the Backup and restore FAQ helpful.
In reply to Helen Foster

by David Mark Weiss -
I read that FAQ and didn't find anything that jumped out at me. But like my wife says, I am not the best at finding stuff.

I will let you know how it works out.

Mark

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Mark
Have you tried backing up the individual course via that course's Administration block - use the Backup link. This is how you backup just one course on demand and it displays progress screens which may prove useful in figuring out what goes wrong if it doesn't work. If it does work you should be returned to that course's backupdata course files folder which will have the .zip file for you to download.
Let us know how you get on smile
Cheers
Teresa
In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by David Mark Weiss -
thanks Teresa,

It is that kind of BU that fails. It goes through the entire process, shows no errors, but the b/u doesn't show up in the list, as if it never really completed.

I am reaching out all over the place to see if there is an offending activity.

by David Mark Weiss -
We still have the problem. We did change php.ini and no joy. We can't back up anything it appears unless it is a really small course.

We have tried the following:

1. Complete backup with user info.
2.Complete backup without user info
3.Partial backup with and without user information

In each case we are getting
After about 50 seconds, we get...

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@seminaryhomestudy.org and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

We really need help here. I will pay for help here. I need to find a Moodle expert anywhere who will help us troubleshoot this.

Please help us.

by JD Cogmon -
David-
You are not crazy, I have been having the same problem for the last week. It does seem to have happened when I started putting High Resolution graphics on my site. I also agree with one of the other posters that I may have a zip I need to delete. So I am going to back up everything using dreamweaver/ftp until I find a viable solution.
I contact my web host and they gave me this information so I am going to post it here in case on of the more savvy users see a problem. I have only been using Moodle since April so I am definitely a newbie. So forgive me if I do petulant newbie things.

The web host support team said...
<begin answer>

File: /lib/moodlelib.php

include_once("$CFG->libdir/pclzip/pclzip.lib.php");
//rewrite filenames because the old method with PCLZIP_OPT_REMOVE_PATH does not work under win32
$zipfiles = array();
$start = strlen($origpath)+1;
foreach($files as $file) {
$tf = array();
$tf[PCLZIP_ATT_FILE_NAME] = $file;
$tf[PCLZIP_ATT_FILE_NEW_FULL_NAME] = substr($file, $start);
$zipfiles[] = $tf;
}
//create the archive
$archive = new PclZip(cleardoubleslashes("$destpath/$destfilename"));
if (($list = $archive->create($zipfiles) == 0)) {
notice($archive->errorInfo(true));
return false;
}

Also, during unzipping the files, their comments say:
//Add filtering for other systems here
// BSD: none (tested)
// Linux: ??
// MacosX: ??

<end answer>

If I need to login to cpanel or via ftp let me know, I am still a little shakey about dealing with the PHP Admin and Mysql.
So yeah...help me please.
Thanks in advance for reading this.
jd
In reply to JD Cogmon

Re: Interesting Backup Problem - SOLVED

by David Mark Weiss -
We found the problem. It was the size of the course. If you have a course that is large, with lots of graphics and video media, you cannot back up "with Course Resources". It chokes immediately.
So we back up without course resources and it works fine.

We have come up with a solution for multiple courses, that share media resources from one folder, instead of multiple duplicates, a challenge unique only a subset of moodle around the world.

Our tech expert came up with...

1. Put all media resources into one folder in the moodledata folder and name the directory/folder "resources".

2. Use admin. replace.php and replace every instance of the file.php?id=xxxxx with "/resources"

What that does is hard code all the links to resources to that folder as a static URL. Then when you back up, you are backing up without course media, only text, and therefore the back ups are manageable and the links persist.

Hope this helps others.

Now I need to make sure that auto back ups can be set to back up without course resources and we are back on line totally.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)

by JD Cogmon -
That is great information! Thank you! My only problem is that I can find "uploaddata" but not "moodledata" are they the same?
In reply to JD Cogmon

by Ken Gibson -
>>>That is great information! Thank you! My only problem is that I can find >>>"uploaddata" but not "moodledata" are they the same?

Yes - they are the same (the data folder for your Moodle installation).

Ken

by Ken Gibson -
David,

For this:

>>>>>>>
Our tech expert came up with...
1. Put all media resources into one folder in the moodledata folder and name the directory/folder "resources".

2. Use admin. replace.php and replace every instance of the file.php?id=xxxxx with "/resources"
>>>>>>>>

I am battling similar issues (larger courses + some back-up issues + sharing same large media files). But - how does your above solution deal with permissions issues? For example. If student #1 is enrolled in course ID=100, but NOT course ID= 101 they can see files from www.mysite.com/file.php?id=100 but NOT www.mysite.com/file.php?id=101.

How does Moodle authentication know that your /resources folder is viewable for a students in say course ID=100, but not course ID=101? Or is this maybe not an issue for the setup you have?

Any thoughts appreciated smile

Ken
In reply to Ken Gibson

by Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Interesting Discussion,

have filed a bug in tracker , please view and ad elements required to precisely pin point things.

http://tracker.moodle.org/browse/MDL-19993

by Ken Gibson -
Ravishankar,

See Petr's comments in MDL-19993 regarding the "sharing" of files between courses and the lack of access control for those (hence my post above). This will be resolved in 2.0.

Ken

by Leo Thiessen -
Very nice - we also had similar challenges: we have approx 20gb of videos shared across many different courses. We are now about to offer mp3 versions of the videos as well.

We have what sounds like a similar solution to yours, (but not quite), where we have a script at /resources/ that serves files to multiple courses, while tying into moodle for security checking; we even took this so far as to create a "token" of sorts whereby we can have a mirror server for our videos (coupled with our automated backup script).

A problem we've been running into, besides sharing large amounts of data across more than one course, is simply finding the resource, managing it in one location (e.g. avoiding duplicates); the shear amount of video was getting too much and is not search friendly.

To get us by until 2.0, I've just recently developed a MrCUTE Jr. shared URL/File repository plugin, which I initially was basing MrCUTE2 (thanks MrCUTE2 team!). The MrCUTE Jr. plugin allows us to have a single file or url shared across multiple courses, while maintaining security. I've just uploaded the latest version via cvs, so it should be available late evening Aug 7th (the first version currently available for download used site files for storage, so it was too insecure, imo).

I'm falling behind on my work, but I would like feedback on this solution - hopefully this will help people until moodle 2+ is rolled out along with the needed plugins. (I haven't been following 2.0 that closely of late, but last I checked it didn't have quite what we needed yet for this type of thing - my info may be out of date though).

The mrcutejr plugin page is still not showing for guest users for some reason, (perhaps something I did/didn't do - I'm new to the moodle.org system), but you can see the moodle doc page for it here.

Regards,
Leo Thiessen