Problems with jumps and navigation in lessons

Re: Problems with jumps and navigation in lessons

by Chris Collman -
Number of replies: 0
Picture of Documentation writers
Hi,
Thanks for the post.

a. As both a general statement and as a best practice this is true and somewhat intentional. My experience says that Lesson does not save information about a designer (teacher) the same as it does for a student. For example, Lesson does not know which unseen question the teacher has not seen, nor if the teacher is in the process of creating the lesson by jumping back and forth between preview mode and an edit mode.

I appreciate what you are saying, I sometimes enroll test1 through test10 users in a course just to check flow, especially when it involves special navigation features in a Lesson. I don't trust "switch role to", I do trust logging out, dumping my cookies and browser cache and logging back in. On the other hand, with experience I can look at a 30 or 50 page lesson in collapsed edit mode and anticipate what will happen to one of my test users and students.

b. Something is not right. That is either a site problem or more likely a Lesson setting issue where "defaults" have been changed. Is the student stuck on "this page" even when the jump is set to "next page"? What I am reading is that jumps only work by placing in the next page's title. Did you see if the Features course at demo.moodle.org behaves this way? If it doesn't I suggest comparing the lesson settings.

c. Yes that is correct. Work arounds: if the teacher wants a student to be able to advance without attempting the question, then they should provide that option as an additional answer: "I want to skip this question", or set max attempts to 1 for everybody so the speed clickers do not get frustrated smile

It has not escaped my notice that my answer to each issue shifted the "blame" to a different direction. a) it can't be done, b) must be user error and c) most teachers want it that way big grin .

Your post helps remind all of us that Moodle and Lesson are used in so many ways that the designers never anticipated. Hope this helps you a little.

Best Chris