Transferring Courses

Transferring Courses

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
Number of replies: 13
Is it possible to transfer a course built for one Moodle site to asnother site.  I have created Moodle-based courses for three different venues (different State Education Departments in different states) and now want to transfer all these courses to another Moodle site.  Is this possible.  If so, how is it done?  Thank you. -- Marilyn 
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Marilyn J Rymniak

Re: Transferring Courses

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Yes it is possible and often done. In your course admin block of your course click on backup. This will back the course up as a zipped folder (ensure you don't backup users as well) And then you can download the zipped folder to your pc. Then go to the course where you want it in the new Moodle and click restore - to upload and unzip the folder into the new Moodle.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
Mary - I followed your instructions and successfully backed up the course and downloaded it onto my pc. I clicked "restore" and was able to upload the backup course into my Files folder but I still am unable to select this course as an import into my system. Am I missing a step here? Thanks. - Marilyn J. Rymniak

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Have a look at the Moodle docs wiki here: http://docs.moodle.org/en/Backup_and_restore_FAQ When you downloaded into your pc, did you then go to moodle and upload the zipped folder into a course? And then did you click restore once it had uploaded ?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
Yes. These are the directions I followed. I downloaded the backup file successfully onto my pc and then I uploaded the zipped folder and clicked restore but it is not appearing anywhere except for my files folder. Not sure why. Thanks.

by Mary Cooch -
What happened when you clicked restore? Did it not ask you where you wanted to restore the course to ?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
I very much appreciate all your help with this, Mary. Here's where I am with the process. I seem to successfully restore the back-up and have it located into a new or existing course ( I have tried it both ways) but no content appears in the course. I simply see the frame. In one try, one of the News Forums appeared but nothing more, yet the process indicates that the transfer was successful and the files appear in the File folder. Any guesses what more I should be doing? Thanks. -- Marilyn

by Mary Cooch -
HI Marilyn. Just to rule out anything wrong with the course - is it too big to email or upload somewhere private and I will try to restore to one of mine and see if it works?Is it a regular Moodle course or a SCORM course?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Hey Mary,
I'm thinking Marilyn is trying to restore the course into the shell into which she has uploaded the zip file. Can't do that, can you?

She needs to have a shell not the same as the shell in which the zip file is located.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
I believe it is a regular course, Mary. I can gladly send it along to you - where should I send it? -- Marilyn

by Mary Cooch -
If it will email then email to the email I am about to send you in a DMor else upload somewhere and send me the link to the email.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Hi again Marilyn. Well I got your course and I will describe here what happened - I did a screencast of it as I was doing it and I am going to send that to you separately via email so you can compare/contrast with anything you might have been doing.
  1. I made an empty course (topics by the way) in my Moodle called Marilyn
  2. I had to ftp your zipped course into that course's folder because it was over 40 MB and my upload within Moodle is less than that.
  3. I went to the course, to course files and clicked "restore"
  4. It asked me if I wanted to restore to new course or existing course - I selected existing course and then was given my list of courses. I then selected the Marilyn course and clicked the button - and - short story is - it all appears to have restored perfectly ok.
  5. Now -I am not sure if that is good news or not, really?mixed It does show the course itself is perfectly ok - so the next step is, have a look at my screencast (which I am not making public for privacy reasons for me and you) and see if you can spot anything.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Marilyn J Rymniak -
Thank you so much, Mary. You have been incredibly helpful and I really appreciated the screencast - most effective. I will try to replicate. Thanks, again. - Marilyn