Course creators can't restore to a new course?

Course creators can't restore to a new course?

by Zbigniew Fiedorowicz -
Number of replies: 4
One of my colleagues is creating course content for multiple courses, by creating content in one course, and then using Backup/Restore to a new course to replicate the content. I figured that if it would suffice for him to be a course creator, in order to be able to do this. However this turns out not to be the case. When I made him a course creator, during Restore he did not have the option of restoring to a new course. He only had the option to restore to the original course either deleting existing content or adding to it. I found I had to make him an administrator before he could Restore to a new course.

Is there some purpose to this restriction on course creators?  I don't see any reason for this. [I am using the latest version of 1.4 stable.]

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Zbigniew Fiedorowicz

Re: Course creators can't restore to a new course?

by Ger Tielemans -

You also cannot assign teachers (or yourself!!) to courses if you forget to become teacher in all these courses during course creation.

Moving courses to other dirs is also not possible for coursecreators, and making backups for others is not possible.

in 1.3.x  I upgraded several rights for creators, but could not figure out the restore-rights.  (and delete did I also keep for the real admins)

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
Some time ago a filed a bug for this. For me too it doesn't make sense to restrict this.
Glad you brought it up again wink

by koen roggemans -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Translators
I see a fix coming in CVS smile

I found on the other hand a workaround:
A coursecreator can creat a new course, upload the backup (after downloading it first of course)  in the new course and restore it there.
In reply to koen roggemans

by Ger Tielemans -

Yes, but that is not Moodle-simple: What if you develop courses for distribution in 9 schools.

During doing these time consuming steps with all the trics and workarounds you develop thoughts and wishes, like:

• putting the buttons for next step on top and not on the bottom: saves extra scroll/mouseclicks..
  • restore a succesfull backup the third and the fourth time must be possible without all the in between screens... and clicks... unless something goes wrong.
    (I did this for hundreds of courses now, so I trust backup blind.... only my own old testcourse gaves problems... would be a miracle if it did not,I tried anything..) 

Other wishes during developing:

1. a button to change every yes into no and then change one or two back to yes
  2. A VERY VERY BIG WISH: backup and restore a subset of sections: you could create a new course by simple assembling clever designed separate topic-sections.. would bring Moodle to a new level of exchange flexibility, making a long nose to all these people strugling with IMS/CP and other attempts.