Math Type

Math Type

by deepak ratra -
Number of replies: 3
Hi everyone

I create math type content in the math type software and copying it to
the moodle editor. But when we see the preview it is showing the code of math type .
Not displaying the actual mathtype.
How do i enable mathtype ? Please help me

regards
deepak
Average of ratings: -
In reply to deepak ratra

Re: Math Type

by Bob Mathews -
Deepak,

On the forum we've seen "math type" (lower case, with a space between the words) to mean "the presentation of mathematical formulas", and we've seen it to mean "the commercial equation editing software that goes by that name". I'm not really sure what you mean here, but since you say "math type software", are you saying "MathType software" (notice the capitalization and no space between math and type), or are you referring to equation software in general?

I'm not trying to be picky; just trying to understand your question. I want to help. smile

If you mean MathType, it looks like you're creating an equation in MathType, copying it, then pasting it into your Moodle course. If this is what you're doing, you should first choose Translators from MathType's Preferences menu, and select the "TeX -- LaTeX 2.09 and later" translator. Make sure you have the two boxes at the bottom UNchecked. You can then copy the equation and paste it into Moodle, but it won't render properly unless the TeX Filter is turned on (or another, 3rd party filter such as ASCIIMathML.js).

Do you have screen shots of what it looks like?

BTW, I have an article on our website that may be helpful: "MathType Works With Moodle". You can also use MathType images in Moodle, if you'd rather not use LaTeX. The article shows you how.

Bob
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Bob Mathews

Math Type

by deepak ratra -
yes bob , i have enabled tex and algebra notations.
when i copy the equation and paste to the moodle .
And when i see the preview its display the mathtype code like

\[
\sqrt {a^2 + b^2 }
\]

see the picture below

regards
deepak

moz-screenshot-1.jpgmoz-screenshot-2.jpg
Attachment code.JPG
In reply to deepak ratra

Re: Math Type

by Mauno Korpelainen -

Hi deepak,

I am getting totally confused. You have posted several almost similar posts - see http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=128280 and http://moodle.org/mod/forum/discuss.php?d=127460

but like Bob I find it hard to understand the main problem. I attached a screenshot about your previous post and some numbers... what do you mean by "preview" (1) that displays your code?

- do you mean that your current tex filter does not render equations (2) / (4) somewhere/anywhere? In wiki of moodle square brackets won't work but elsewhere your tags are valid if your tex filter is just parsing tex either with mimetex executable or some server side distribution of latex that has correct paths and permissions in your tex filter settings. Here in moodle.org $$ \sqrt {a^2 + b^2} $$ is rendered with teTeX that uses sometimes different syntax than mimetex in folder filter/tex/ if your site is using mimetex but mostly all distributions use same syntax. Some extra white spaces or unicode characters or html code inside latex tags may sometimes cause failure...

- if you just copy images from clipboard like (3) they can't work elsewhere than in your own PC... (3) is stored to temporary files of your PC. You must save the images first (to your hard disk) and upload them to course files of moodle (moodledata) for example with image plugin of editor or use external links to external images with image plugin

- or do you mean that editor (htmlArea) shows only code, not WYSIWYG (that's normal behaviour of HTMLArea) ? (5)

- or do you mean that you have copied a link to an image from some other site or course like in the article Bob mentioned and the image is not shown or given equation is not seen in preview window of editor image plugin? (images from other courses won't be seen unless you have visited that course and the image is in cache...)

Example

Attachment deepak1.gif