Export to Excel doesn't include names

Export to Excel doesn't include names

by Mary Cooch -
Number of replies: 11
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Colleague in another school has been trying to export to Excel a couple of quiz grades for some students - 1.9.4 - apparently when previewing in Excel the names and emails and grades all show up fine but when downloading into a spreadsheet only the scores appear. As csv there are no problems but for your average teacher csv is a little complex so he would rather use the Excel option I went into his course and looked at the quizzes and gradebook and tried exporting myself (regular PC not a Mac) and the same happened to me. I cannot immediately see anything obvious that is causing this -but as they are just starting up in Moodle it will be a big disadvantage if they are unable to download to Excel. I will go back and check if it works with Open Office but in the meantime - does anyone have any ideas of something obvious I haven't spotted?
PS - noticed this a while ago but doesn't appear to have an obvious solution
In reply to Mary Cooch

Re: Export to Excel doesn't include names

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Ok - as an addendum to this: it opens perfectly ok with names in Open Office calc - which would be fine except again, sadly, many teachers are more used to Excel. I am using Excel 2007 if that is any help.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Okay, I'll ask the obvious because Access sometimes does this when exporting to Excel. Did you make sure the cell w/ the names, etc, are actually fitted to the column width? In other words, the stuff you don't see isn't hidden inside the cell, is it?
In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Ben - sorry - missed this post in all the rest! Yes - I did - and so did the teacher who tried this before me. I've regularly exported Excel on my own school Moodle and not seen this problem before. They have only just got into gradebooks so I don't know if it is a one-off or would be the same for their whole Moodle. I wonder if by "upping" the post someone else might have an idea?
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -

I tried this. Quiz > download in excel format > open in excel.

Moodle 1.9.4 and Excel 2007. Opened and showed everything in the following fields.

Name ID number Started on Completed Time taken Grade/13 #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7 #8 #9 #10 #11 #12 #13 Feedback

17 students, including one named ben student1 who seems to have done nothing all term wink
In reply to Mary Cooch

by ben reynolds -
Then I tried grades > Choose an action > Export to excel spreadsheet > select none > selected one quiz > preview > download > open w/ Excel.

I got names and email addresses in excel 2007 along w/ items in the following fields.

First name Surname ID number Institution Department Email address Quiz: Lesson 1 - Exercise 1

"Institution" and "Department" are empty fields in my school, except for Ben Student1, who claims to be a member of the "Department of Justice."

In reply to ben reynolds

by Mary Cooch -
I wonder if it's something specific to their set up? I'll try again and let you know - but perhaps when I am back home rather than on a dodgy wifi connection on a French campsite smile
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Mary Cooch -
Hi Ben. Back from dodgy wifi on French campsite - back to problem solving. I tried this as you suggested: (quote) Quiz > download in excel format > open in excel.

Moodle 1.9.4 and Excel 2007.
Exactly the same problem as before when downloading from the gradebook. No names!!!
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Gerald Grow -
I have had problems downloading a large gradebook in Excel format. It stops short of including all the grades.

However, if I download it as text and choose tab-delimited, it downloads the complete gradebook, and I can easily import it into Excel.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Manel Lopez -
Hi All

I'm in the same trouble.
I was playing with all the exportations parameters with no result.

Any idea?
In reply to Manel Lopez

by Manel Lopez -

Solved

Language -> Language Settings -> Excel Encoding -> Latin

And That's all Folks smile

In reply to Manel Lopez

by benjie 822 -
Thanks Manel. We just encountered this problem and your information was very useful.approve