Editing Language - says missing words

Editing Language - says missing words

by Ron Meske -
Number of replies: 6
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
We edited the Local Language Settings for moodle.php to change Grade & Grades to Score and Scores. When we saved, it said saved successfully but also said 4 missing strings. Two of them seem to be Grades and Grade. The other two don't say anything next to the arrows and when we reset the Grades and Grade back to the original terms it still says 2 missing strings.

If we leave the changes Moodle does seem to run and does display Scores and Score instead of Grades.

Any insight as to what is happening?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ron Meske

Re: Editing Language - says missing words

by Jeff Forssell -
Maybe there were some strings missing in the lang pack when you opened it. It is quite common that translators haven't kept up with some new strings, so even the latest packs can be "missing strings".
Average of ratings: Useful (2)
In reply to Jeff Forssell

by Ron Meske -
It is English that I am editing and all fields are field out except one that says to leave it blank unless you are using a different language pack. There is a link at the top "Go to first missing string" and clicking that takes you to:

firstdayofweek

The field next to it has a 0 in it and an arrow to jump to the next missing string which takes you to:

Grade
grade

Which we changed to Score. There is an up and down arrow with Grade in between. I am assuming it is saying it is missing because we changed the default value, though that would seem to be a bug not a feature.

Clicking the down arrow takes us to:

Grades
grades

Which we changed to Scores. Again, there is
an up and down arrow with Grades in between. Clicking the down arrow takes us to:

<< TRANSLATORS: If your language has a Parent Language that Moodle should use when strings are missing from your language pack, then specify the code for it here. If you leave this blank then English will be used. Example: nl >>
parentlanguage

This field is blank, but according to the instructions it should be since we are using English.

If it was saying only one missing string, I would understand. But the fact it is stating that there are four, and only one field is blank, there seems to be a problem.

In reply to Ron Meske

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Treating 0 as the same as blank is a common bug in PHP code. (PHP normally treats them as the same unless you tell it not to, and it is easy to forget.)

The parent language one is probably just a bug in the translation interface.
In reply to Tim Hunt

by Ron Meske -
So should I put this in the Tracker or is this expected behavior?