Mahara RPCXML does not work on load-balanced Moodle servers

Mahara RPCXML does not work on load-balanced Moodle servers

by Phil Australia -
Number of replies: 1
Hello,

have got two load-balanced Moodle servers with sticky session. Networking is enabled. I have even added the IP of Mahara and the load-balancer as XML-RPC hosts.

On the other hand, Mahara is reverse-proxied by the load balancer. Mahara works fine, the session sticks. Networking is enabled.

Moodle and Mahara are installed on two separate servers. They can ping each other and resolve each other reverse-proxied hostnames.
Moodle is 1.9.5+ (2 weeks old) and Mahara is 1.1.5.

Configuring Moodle as a remote SSO/XMLRPC institution in Mahara ends up nowhere as Mahara keeps telling me : 'An error occurred while retrieving the public key from the remote server.
Please ensure that the Application and WWW Root fields are correct, and that networking is enabled on the remote host.'
wwwroot is the same as the one used in the Moodle's config.php file.

The load balancer reports the call from Mahara when validating the form but nothing else:
POST /mahara/admin/users/addauthority.php?add=1&i=moodle&p=xmlrpc HTTP/1.1 - HTTP/1.1 200 OK

Mahara does not throw nothing in its error log.

So, I do not really know what to do next.
There is obviously no response from Moodle but why? How the XML-RPC com works between Mahara and Moodle?

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Phil Australia

Re: Mahara RPCXML does not work on load-balanced Moodle servers

by Penny Leach -
Hi Philippe,

It may be that there's a firewall between them that's blocking port 80.

Can you try going to the mahara machine, and doing:

wget http://yourmoodleinstall/mnet/publickey.php

And see what happens?

Cheers
Penny