Packt invites Moodle book ideas and authors.

Packt invites Moodle book ideas and authors.

by Kshipra Singh -
Number of replies: 7

Packt’s (www.PacktPub.com) books are recognized as the best way to learn Moodle. We  hope to make Moodle accessible to everyone and, to make sure that all needs are catered for, Packt are inviting teachers, students, and Moodle fans alike to send in their book ideas or simply get in touch if they are interested in authoring a Moodle book but don't have a book idea. Please read this for more details http://authors.packtpub.com/content/packt-invites-moodle-authors-and-book-ideas

Thanks

Kshipra Singh

Author Relationship Manager

Packt Publishing

http://twitter.com/kshipras

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Kshipra Singh

Re: Packt invites Moodle book ideas and authors.

by Mark Hudson -
I think we should all be avoiding the use of books to learn about Moodle. There are plenty already anyway - and extensive online documentation at moodledocs.

The trouble is that as soon as it becomes necessary to read a book before doing anything, the whole point of 'on-line' goes...!?

MUCH better would be a Moodle that is more intuitive to use so that it isn't necessary to have to read a book to be able to use it. Have hope for this to some degree in Moodle 2.0

To illustrate this, have a look at www.haiku.com and set up a free account to try it out. It has a help section, but it automatically provides all the help you need whilst you create something. Everything is easy drag & drop etc - almost impossible not to know what to do!

I am a long time Moodle user now so I am not suggesting users should change, but I think Moodle could learn a thing or two from this very streamlined/intuitive approach.

Mark
In reply to Mark Hudson

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I sort of agree and disagree, Mark. I learned all my Moodle and am still learning loads by playing around and then, when stuck, using the forums and then, when really stuck, the docs (in that order) But I train high school and primary school teachers in using Moodle - I have just come back from a secondary school now- and despite our best intentions to have all instructions online or to make Moodle more user-friendly, there are still those whose learning style is such that they would prefer to read paper they can hold in their hand and/or scribble on. I have made screencasts for some teachers, helpsheets for others and today again was asked if there was a beginners' Moodle book for someone who wanted to carry on on her own but wasn't confident enough searching through forums or docs. It's just catering for individual preferences I suppose.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

Mary, I agree.  I have many different types of learners. They need different ways of learning.  I try find or provide as many different ways of learning as I can.  I also have a few who need their hand held when ever they try something new perhaps even 2 or 3 times.  They are also sometimes helped by having a book they can go back to again and again. 

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by John Andrewartha -
If the proposed book covers the more basic issues then why not. It is easier to give the none believers a book to read than coaxing them towards a keyboard and screen.

If said book was both a p-book and e-book and was available online to be browsed while sitting on public transport with a pda or mobile device, lets do it.
John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Mark Drechsler -
Gotta say that after running Moodle training sessions for about two years now the statement that 'x book is the best way to learn Moodle' is rubbish.

Like Mary has mentioned, it is a 'horses for courses' situation (like just about all learning situations) where, depending on the learning style of an individual, there are a range of ways to learn Moodle. At the beginning of each session I try to make sure that I provide several different options for learners during the course - if they are visual, watch me run the demos on screen, if they are read/write, then here is a link to the online Moodle book and MoodleDocs, if they are kinaesthetic then jump in to your course sandpit and explore, and if they are more of a 'learn by Googling' kind of person then here's moodle.org in its entirety for you to look at.

The other problem I have with books about Moodle is the rate that some of the fine detail goes out of date - the rate that Moodle changes means that I will always point people back to the online documentation to get the latest source.

Just my thoughts, ymmv smile
In reply to Mark Drechsler

by E. L. Cooper -

I'd love to see the statistics supporting this-

Packt’s (www.PacktPub.com) books are recognized as the best way to learn Moodle.