Granularity of Enrolment

Granularity of Enrolment

by Jay Edgar -
Number of replies: 2
Greetings,

If I am asking this question in the wrong place, my apologies. Please feel free to redirect my noob self. smile

I am very interested in using Moodle, and I need to make sure it will work for a client. I believe it will do the following, and I need to be sure before I go further:

My client is *the owner* of 30 restaurants. He wants to be able to monitor training of each participant at all 30 locations. (I'll refer to him as Level A.)

Many of his restaurants are franchises, and they each need to be able to manage their own students, without seeing those stores they don't own. (I'll refer to them as Level B.)

I'm not sure this is needed yet: if a Level B owns 2 stores, each one may have a manager who should be able to monitor training at their location, and not the other store. (I'll call them Level C.)

I'm fairly confident that Moodle will allow Level A to see all trainees and B to see only their own. Am I correct?

Can it also handle Level C seeing only their own, without seeing other locations under Levels B or A?

Thank you very much for your help.

Jay Edgar
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jay Edgar

Re: Granularity of Enrolment

by Tim Hunt -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
I think Moodle would handle this as follows:

This will work best if you put all the training activities are in one course. (Or at least create a single course for monitoring.)

Enrol the Owner in the course as a Teacher.
Enrol the franchise managers in the course as Non-editing teachers.
Enrol the franchise staff in the course as Students.

Create a group in the course for each franchise. In the group but the franchise manager and his staff. People can be in more than one group, which deals with C.

Go to Administration -> Users -> Permissions -> Define roles, and change the permission for 'Access all groups' for the Non-editing teacher role to 'Not set'.

Set the course, and all the activities in it to Separate groups mode.
In reply to Tim Hunt

Re: Granularity of Enrolment

by Jay Edgar -
So non-editing teachers would still be able to add students?

Thanks for your response, Tim.

Jay