External Database

External Database

by Jeremy Menter -
Number of replies: 5
First, I am very new to Moodle.

Second, my question/issue. I am trying to use an external database to enroll student in a class and I just can't figure out the correct settings for the database.

35bc8p1.png

I'm trying a simple Access database, but tried a .CSV file first and couldn't get that to work either. I'm pretty sure I've got the first three options correct. The IP address of the server that Moodle is installed on, the username, and password that I use to log in to the server. It's the database name and table I'm not sure about. Is there a specific directory that the access table needs to be? How else would the DB name be meaningful. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jeremy Menter

Re: External Database

by Jon Witts -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
The settings in this section are not for the Moodle server but where your external database is.

So the IP address of the server hosting the access database;
A username and password (if required) to access your access database;
The name of the access database;
The table in the access database that contains the user fields to validate against...
In reply to Jon Witts

by Jeremy Menter -
I didn't know if the database needed to be on the same server as Moodle. Is it possible to place the external database on the same server as Moodle? I don't really have another server to put the database on.

Thanks for all your help.

Jeremy
In reply to Jeremy Menter

by Art Lader -
Sure.

Same server should be fine, Jeremy. Peachy, even. smile

-- Art
In reply to Art Lader

by Jeremy Menter -
Well, that's great news. Is there a specific directory that the database needs to be in? If not, then how do I "tell" Moodle where to find it? Simply putting the file name in there doesn't seem like it would get the job done (and hasn't so far).

Thanks,
Jeremy
In reply to Art Lader

by Jeremy Menter -
After some more reading, I see that the documentation mentions the /enrol/database directory. Is this where the database belongs? Does it even matter?

Also, it appears an alteration to the cron.php file may be necessary. Or do I need to add the cron statement in another file? Is this the case? If so, where in said file?

Thanks for any help,
Jeremy