Assignment Choices

Assignment Choices

by Alice Keeler -
Number of replies: 1
In creating my online class I want to enable the content to be for low to high learners. For the assignments I want to give the students choices of the assignments they can complete.

Choice A: Fill out a worksheet - 20 points

Choice B: Here is a game to play, provide evidence - 25 points

Choice C: Create a project that teaches others - 30 points.

Since they are graded on total points the students need to earn enough points out of the points possible to get the grade they want. Students will not always choose option C and still be able to get an A in the course so long as they usually do choice C.

I want students to feel successful so if they do choice A I want to be able to give them 20/20 for the assignment...

So it would count as 20 points toward their final grade which is really just a C grade since if they only do option A they will only earn 70% of the total final points possible.

Now.. how to make the Moodle Gradebook Cooperate. I COULD make 3 different assignments (sigh), but would rather not have 3 things in the gradebook for each objective.

I've thought about making all assignments in Moodle 100 "points" and keeping a separate easy grade pro gradebook where I keep a total of their total points. Then in Moodle it would reflect their percentage ON THE ASSIGNMENT.

I am of course concerned that Moodle would show the option A person having 100% but their actual grade is 70%

Can anyone brainstorm with me on this?
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Alice Keeler

Re: Assignment Choices

by Alice Keeler -
I wonder how hard it would be to learn php and write my own Moodle element for this.

What if when I make an assignment in Moodle I put in max points, but then when grading instead of just giving them one grade it says blank/maxpoints and both are editable boxes, with the max points being defaulted. I could then change the denominator to reflect which activity the student did.....

Seems complicated...