QuizPort not included in backup

QuizPort not included in backup

by Glenys Hanson -
Number of replies: 5
Hi Gordon,

When I do a backup of a course QuizPort is not included. The course below has a QuizPort but it doesn't appear.

Any idea why not?

Cheers,
Glenys
Attachment 07-07-2009_12-36-51.png
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Glenys Hanson

Re: QuizPort not included in backup

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Hi Glenys,

the current beta release of QuizPort does not include the backup/restore scripts. Those scripts exist and are working on my server and they will be included in the stable release of the QuizPort when that is released later this year.

In the meantime, you can backup your course by dumping the whole MySQL database.

best regards
Gordon

In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Glenys Hanson -
Hi Gordon,

I'm sorry but I'm not techie enough to understand what "dumping the whole MySQL database" means. No, don't waste your time telling me, I've looked it up on the internet and it's definitely not within my capacities but I can maybe find people who will help.

The reason I need to backup and resotre is that I've started to transfer one of my courses with lots of (over 300) Hot Potatoes into QuizPort. I do it on my hard disk but I'd like to be able to upload it to a collaborative site some of the French Moodle users have just set up so that I can get their help and feedback. I could do it all directly on that site, but the connection is a bit slow. For the moment, it's been useful to me to do the first module twice over as I'm still learning my way around. There are twelve modules and I hope to be more skilful before the end and not need more than one attempt. thoughtful I intend to actually use it in a real course in September, so I'll need to move it again to the university where the course will actually run. Of course, the university won't agree to install QuizPort until it's out of beta, but I light candles every evening hoping it will be by then. wink

If the scripts already exist, what is the reason for not including them in current downloads?

Cheers,
Glenys
In reply to Glenys Hanson

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers

Dear Glenys,
> dumping the whole database

Probably the easiest way for you is to open up phpMyAdmin, select the database and then cick the "Export" tab.

> Of course, the university won't agree to install QuizPort until it's out of beta

I see. Well, I'll try and accelerate that process then.

> If the scripts already exist, what is the reason for not
> including them in current downloads?

The main reason is to offer an incentive for people to buy the commercial version of the module. The current version of QuizPort is the "free - no pay, experiment and play" version. The commercial version will be based on the free version, but it will also include backup and restore scripts and over time it will have additional output formats and media players added. The commercial version will not be expensive. At the moment, I am thinking of asking $50 for a single teacher license and $300 for an institutional or business license.

If you would like to purchase a license now and get the backup/restore scripts ASAP, please contact me by private email: gordon at-sign kanazawa hyphen gu dot dot jp

best regards
Gordon

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Gordon Bateson

by Németh Zoltán -
Dear Gordon,

I have just read this post, and I am a bit confused. So the full QuizPort module with backup function and media support will not be free of charge as a module of Moodle? I read somewhere that QuizPort will be added by default to Moodle 2.0 instead of Hot Potatoes module, but Hot Potatoes module does have backup/restore function. Is this information correct?

Thanks,
Zoltan
In reply to Németh Zoltán

by Gordon Bateson -
Hi Zoltan,
I started to write a reply to your post, but I think I should do so on a new thread, so I will do that tomorrow.

regards
Gordon