PowerPoint Slideshow

PowerPoint Slideshow

by Paul Egan -
Number of replies: 3

Can someone please explain why a PowerPoint 2003 slideshow presentation (.pps), which correctly opens as a slideshow when double clicked on my PC....opens as a PowerPoint document when opened on the same PC, from the Moodle site running on a localhost and logged in as a user?

More importantly...how can I fix it!

Thanks,

Paul

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Paul Egan

Re: PowerPoint Slideshow

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators

I can't explain it but I'd strongly advise you to try using a different format when  uploading powerpoint - so that everyone can access them easily without the need for downloading or having Powerpoint viewer etc..  have you tried ispringsolutions (google it !) It is a free program that converts Powerpoints to flash files, retaining animations.

In reply to Paul Egan

by Dave Shearan -

Hi Paul,

I've been struggling with the same issue ever since Office 2007 was installed at our college. At one level I do agree with Mary's answer but there are very many people who have uploaded PowerPoint presentations on our Moodle and they still need for them to work the way they expect them to.

I have today convinced our network team here to make the following registry change (as advised in a Microsoft technical post):

• Start Registry Editor
  • Locate and click this key in the registry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\PowerPoint.Show.8
  • Double click on the Data type: REG_DWORD
    Change the Value data: to 8
  • Close Registry Editor

Try this on your local PC and it should fix the problem. The bigger issue is that you can't control what's happening for all your other users. For us in the college the change will be rolled out to all our users but even then we can't influence our users when they are at home.

Sorry this is a bit wordy - I do hope it helps with your immediate problem.

P.S. This is not a Moodle problem - you would hit the same problem with the presentations on any server

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Dave Shearan

by Paul Egan -

Thanks Mary and Dave, 

After posting I had a look around other forums and as you suggested, this is a genital problem, probably related to Internet Explorer.  I have converted them to .html multipage files; surprisingly it seems to work very well. They open with a navigation bar on LHS with slide titles, as with PowerPoint files, but if you click on "Slideshow" in bottom RH of status bar, a full screen slideshow opens in a new window. 

Thanks again. 

Paul

Average of ratings: Useful (1)