How to develop new Moodle Activity to talk with WebServices

How to develop new Moodle Activity to talk with WebServices

by phillip sparks -
Number of replies: 1

I want to have a moodle activity that can communicate with a .NET web service application hosted on the same or another server to create and launch virtual lab for studnet to get remote control of a virtual server.  I am not familar with PHP or the internal requirements of communications required for Moodle, so any pointers would be appreciated.  I have put the four basic requirements below:

a.  Create a new activity to Moodle with the parameters of the web service (i.e. Service DNS name, IP address, SiteID, UserID, Password).  This would be customized in the administration section.

b.  Add activity to a Course that contains the parameters of the specific virtual machine to start and pass the user information from the class to the web services (i.e.  MachineID, TimeStart, TimeFinish, Resources)

c.  Launch the course activity as a user and communicate with the web service to start the virtual server in a new window.  This tells the virtual server to start the lab at the TimeStart and tracks that the user started working on the virtual server.

d.  After completion of the virtual server window, report back to Moodle and acknowledge that the user had completed the assignment of working on the virtual system.   The teacher can then go check the work of the student. 

If you are a moodle programmer with web services experience, I do not think it would be a overly difficult task, but I am not able to do it, so please call, email, or post in this forum.

thanks,

Phillip sparks  sparks@ics-emea.com

Average of ratings: -
In reply to phillip sparks

Re: How to develop new Moodle Activity to talk with WebServices

by Hubert Chathi -
If you are looking to pay someone to do this work, you can also try posting to Moodle Jobs, and/or contacting a Moodle Partner in your area.