Valid reason for having enforce language for a course ?

Valid reason for having enforce language for a course ?

by Ravishankar Somasundaram -
Number of replies: 3
Dear moodlers,

I fail to understand the usage of enforcing language for a course ,

For example, If i enforce portuguese language for a course and the user has a prefered language of spanish .

The tearcher wants the user to view the content only in portuguese so as to make him proficient in that language irrespective of his prefered language ,

In the above situvation also the user can view only the navigational or predefined text in portuguese , other custom text which the teacher entered while creating a quiz or forum ...etc will not be translated right ?

If there is no way that the custom entered text for fullname , shortname , and other text's translated why do we have such a thing called enforce language. ?

Or if my understanding is wrong please do educate me on the option of enforcing language for a course.
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Ravishankar Somasundaram

Re: Valid reason for having enforce language for a course ?

by Martín Langhoff -
Two scenarios:

- Maybe you are teaching portuguese at an advanced level?
- You are using pt_lo ("local") because you are changing some strings more related to how you use moodle than to the language itself (ie: 'course' to 'community' is a very commin change).

The second scenario "should" be solvable using the support for local/lang/ language packs, but then you would have to make your change (course to community) in all the language packs! So in practice people still lockdown the language choice.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Ravishankar Somasundaram

Re: Valid reason for having enforce language for a course ?

by Mark Stevens -
Heya Ravi,

Many language teachers believe that only the target language should be spoken, and therefore many English language teachers that I know choose to enforce English. Long live cultural imperialism smile I prefer a more eclectic approach, and since nearly all of my content for my language courses is in English, I don't really mind that students can choose to see menu items in another language. In class, I often speak languages other than English to explain a grammar item, or just joke.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)