Tutors assigned to students spreaded across courses

Tutors assigned to students spreaded across courses

by Daniel Costa -
Number of replies: 4
Hi folks,

Our school works in the following way:

- Students are assigned to tutors when they are enrolled in the school.
- Students may study several courses, but it's always his tutor that will give the grades (the tutors are proficient in every course).
- So, courses don't have specific teachers.

We already have a LMS here working that way, but for political reasons we may need to migrate to Moodle, so I have to know if this is going to work or not.

Att,
Daniel Costa

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Daniel Costa

Re: Tutors assigned to students spreaded across courses

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Daniel
I recall Mentor type roles being discussed online before, but have found information about a Parent role on Docs which will do the same thing, essentially create the tutor role with the relevant permissions then assign the relevant tutor to the relevant students via the student's profiles.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Teresa

In reply to Teresa Gibbison

by Daniel Costa -
Hi Teresa!

Thanks for your answer, but the solution provided could not help me because this tutor role (derived from parent role) must be able to give grades to their students, not only see them.

I could not find in the Docs the appropriate permission to allow the tutors give the grades. Do you know if this is possible?

Att,
Daniel
In reply to Daniel Costa

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
Why is it not enough simply for the tutor to have teacher role in each course the student is in - then he will be able to give grades?
In reply to Daniel Costa

by Teresa Gibbison -
Hi Daniel
This Parent role information is very similar to what you are trying to achieve (which is why I linked to it). When you create your tutor role you will need to provide the additional capabilities required for your situation - I suggest you look at the non-editing teacher capabilities and work from there. (This Parent role is not allowed to grade or Mums and Dads would be giving out A's left right and centre, not that I would do that as a Mum!tongueout)

Also Mary is right - the tutor would have to be assigned to each course in order to have the grading ability - unless you add them at system or course category level which would provide them access to the courses with the ability to grade activities and view/edit the gradebook.
Cheers
Teresa