Admin Account slow performance

Admin Account slow performance

by Jason Rinne -
Number of replies: 7
I have noticed that my admin account is very slow. 20-30 seconds to load any page within the admin account. Only change on the system was an update to Trend Micro Office Scan. All other accounts seem fine and i have had no performance complaints from any other users.
I am on a Windows 2003 box with the following:
Moodle 1.9.5
Apache 2.2.10
PHP 5.2.9.1
MYSQL 5.1.30

I know there is probably more information i can provide so just let me know what you need to help me.

I have another account that has admin rights and I experienced the same performance issues when logging in with it. I removed the admin rights from that account and the performance issues went away.

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Jason Rinne

Re: Admin Account slow performance

by Tim Geyer -
I have the same issue.
Almost the same setup except Moodle 1.9.2.
Admin accounts load in probably 15-20 seconds.
I have scoured the Moodle forums looking for answers to this, but nothing.
Anyone have any ideas?
In reply to Tim Geyer

by Noveck Gowandan -

I can possibly understand the admin homepage taking long to load especially if you have thousands of courses and several categories.

But are you speaking about _All_ the admin pages? Do you have any php Caching software installed? Is your mdl_log table enormous?

Cheers,

-n

In reply to Tim Geyer

by Tim Geyer -
I should clarify the situation a bit. Sorry.

Moodle Cluster setup using 2 x LVS (ubuntu 9.10 64 bit) running on vmware esxi 4.0
with 3 x Windows 2003 web/real servers running apache 2.2.11 and php 5.2.8 running on VMWare Esx 2.5 HP Fiber Channel SAN setup.
all set to deliver standard theme with mod_deflate and mod_headers enabled
as well as the core mods from the recommended docs.

Moodle Data is shared on one of the web Servers as a windows share with proper access given to the web account for the apache process on the web servers

Gigabit LAN

DB is MySQL/ with myisam tables running on Windows 2003 (mysql version 5.1.34)

All servers have 2 chips (2.2 ghz dual core) and at least 2 gb of RAM except the SQL server which has 4 dual core chips and 4 gb of RAM.

Moodle 1.9.2 Build 20080711

Session handling in the database,

Internal cache for db records with record cache enabled
set to 10 and 50 as the docs say.

ADOdb output of

mysql

Parameter Value Description
Ratios
MyISAM cache hit ratio 99
InnoDB cache hit ratio 0 Cache ratio should be at least 90%
sql cache hit ratio 51.3
IO
data reads 1 Number of selects (Key_reads is not accurate)
data writes 0 Number of inserts/updates/deletes * coef (Key_writes is not accurate)
Data Cache
MyISAM data cache size 48M
BDB data cache size Error:
InnoDB data cache size 500M
Memory Usage
read buffer size 65536 (per session)
sort buffer size 256K Size of sort buffer (per session)
table cache Error: Number of tables to keep open
Connections
current connections 50
max connections 800

We just set the MySQL config this way late today to try to mimic a test server we had which shows almost no slowdown in performance when accessing the admin interface. The only difference was we changed our database to run on localhost on that test box, not from the DB server. (Which makes me think something is going wrong in the communication or contact with the MySQL server in my production environment)

OK. So we had APC enabled on this cluster of web servers and xcache enabled on the test server earlier today (and all this week). No change in results in either test or production environment with any PHP accelerator enabled. If anything, it seemed to slow down the page loads a bit. Which is very surprising to me.

My mdl_log table is quite large. ADOdb reads out:
mdl_log MyISAM 10 Dynamic 753889 93 70381024 281474976710655 54381568 0 777437 Thu 31, Jul 2008, 02:19:48 Fri 20, Nov 2009, 09:49:47 Fri 20, Nov 2009, 03:11:28 utf8_general_ci Every action is logged as far as possible

I guess I should not say it is quite large as I don't know how large it is supposed to be.

I went to this cluster to try to alleviate some apache PHP crashing issues we were having with the Quiz module, and that has been alleviated, but the Admin interface (almost every link, especially anything in the server area or users area or enrollments area) loads slowly now.

Anyone have any ideas? In my mind, this setup should rock the house, and easily fly through a DB connection and web traffic. Heck, with mod_deflate our whole template load a 40000 bytes in under 3 seconds. It load very fast, but either the PHP processing takes too long, or the database is killing us. I can't seem to find the source. BTW, the cpu usage is very low on the web server all day long, and the cpu on the DB server hardly shows any activity.

I am no expert, by any means, and I would greatly appreciate any assistance with this matter or tips for tuning.
Thanks

In reply to Tim Geyer

by Tim Geyer -
Note:
65 categories in Moodle installation.
around 200 courses, many unused or underused but still in the db.
In reply to Tim Geyer

by Tim Geyer -
Also forgot to mention that I just lowered the logging rate twice in the past two days.
Once down from 180 days to 60, and tonight from 60 to 35 days.

The entire Moodle dB is appximately 162mb in size. That is also kinda scary.
In reply to Tim Geyer

by Tim Geyer -
OK, update. Deleted everything out of the mdl_log table (after a backup first)
and it has dropped approximately 60 mb from the database size.
It seems to have helped some of the load on the admin pages.
I am now wondering what else I should be pruning out of the db.
I have disabled grade history, and probably need to clean out that DB.
Also wondering about mdl_users.
So now I am seeking advice on pruning those db tables. Any advice...
In reply to Tim Geyer

by Tim Geyer -
Note: I did not delete 'everything' from the mdl_log table, just everything prior to 28 days in the past.
Also, I have installed and configured xcache and it has helped dramatically.
It seems to have alleviated much of the issues I was having. APC, did not help much at all, but xcache is very nice.