General help

Picture of James Neill
Usability: Public profile

How do I make my Moodle profile public?

Average of ratings: -
Think I am older now :)
Re: Usability: Public profile
Group Documentation writersGroup Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Context? On your moodle site or on Moodle.org?

At moodle.org I click on your user name and go to your user page, which is your profile. I call that public smile

I can send you a message and did. Is this what you were asking?

Best Chris

Picture of James Neill

Thanks, Chris. To clarify: Any moodle site. Yes, you can see my profile - but only if you are logged in. Many will never login. So, how can a Moodle profile be made open to anonymous viewers?

Head
Group Particularly helpful MoodlersGroup Testers
Go to: Administration > Security > Site policies and change "Force users to login for profiles" to No. Please take heed of the security warning for this setting though and only do it you understand the risks involved.

You would then need to provide a link to your profile on the front page somewhere. That could be from a post on the site news or a custom HTML block...

Jon

Picture of James Neill

Thanks, Jon, much appreciated. What do folks think about making anonymous access to one's profile customisable (on/off) by the user? Would this be a usability topic or a feature request for elsewhere?

Average of ratings:Useful (1)
Alan Arnold photo

sounds like an eminently sensible suggestion to me James - striking the balance between managing institutional risks (for a University or School, say) and facilitating social presence.

I see a similar discussion about Moodle Profile privacy - particuluarly the ability to hide your courses in your profile - has made it into tracker and thence into the Privacy improvements project ideas for 2.0.

see also http://docs.moodle.org/en/Development:Customisable_user_profiles