Sample Moodle courses for k-12?

Sample Moodle courses for k-12?

by Martín Langhoff -
Number of replies: 15
Moodle is in the OLPC School Server (yay!) and one of the things we are looking for is some example material. The idea is to show good practices and inspire school users.

Literacy or math would be fantastic, but I am open to anything that you think is worth considering smile
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Martín Langhoff

Re: Sample Moodle courses for k-12?

by Paula Clough -

Martin,

Have you checked out the Moodle Exchange or the Moodle Demo Site? 

Exchange is under the My Courses tab...but there is the address http://moodle.org/course/view.php?id=15 .  Not only are there courses there that have been posted to share but also glossaries, databases, SCORMS, quizzes and a forum with some websites that might be helpful.

Demo site is under the About Tab... there are some samples there and they are growing.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by Martín Langhoff -
Yes! Been looking there too. Thanks

by John Rodgers -
Hello Martin:

I have complete 1 calculus and vectors course (yes they are combined in my jurisdiction) and 1 physics course (grade 12).

They aren't completely "sanitized" as yet and are somewhat large (3 MB and 7 MB. They DO NOT include video elements, which were all embedded from YouTube) , but I could send them to you directly is you wanted to see if they match your interests.
Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to John Rodgers

by Martín Langhoff -
That would be great! Do make sure you aren't sending me student data (that'd be trouble). My email address is martin@laptop.org

Thanks!

by Paula Clough -

There is a new site listed in the Exchange forum by Harry Sweet.  http://www.linux-for-education.org/  It has lots of courses that have been uploaded there, including some from the Exchange and from some of the other sites that are listed in the forum. 

You might want to take a look and see what you think.

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

by John Andrewartha -
Hi Paula,
An interesting site. Of particular interest would be maths stuff K - 4 with manipulative's. We seem to be sharing the senior stuff but the poor old ECL and Middle school seem to be lacking.
John
In reply to John Andrewartha

by Paula Clough -

John,

I agree.  These lower levels aren't getting as represented.  Have you seen Mary's new book  Using Moodle with 7 to 14 Year Olds?  I'm hoping to get some of my Elementary teacher's more involved this year.  I am showing that book to some of my teachers.  We have had more buy-in from Secondary than from Elementary and Middle School. Luckily I have another person working Ed Tech with me this year. We will have more time to spend at the other levels.

Paula Clough cool-

In reply to Paula Clough

by Mary Cooch -
Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Testers Picture of Translators
I sometimes feel the teachers in elementary/UK primary schools are using Moodle less because possibly they have less support -there are fewer of them in the school; they might not have a dedicated Moodle admin or technician and might feel the lower level of literacy is a stumbling block towards satisfying use of Moodle Which it isn't!! I'm going to try to focus more on primaries next year and if I find any good courses I will try to encourage them to share in the exchange.
In reply to Mary Cooch

by Paula Clough -

I also think the many elementary teachers are very modest about their work.  If we identify what's there and encourage them, perhaps they will feel better about sharing. I will try also.

cool

by Paula Clough -

I have found a ELD course http://sos.tcea.org/coloodle/course/view.php?id=7  This is part of a site one the TCEA that Ken posted to the forum in the exchange.  It might give you some ideas for organization.  It seems to be based on English websites.  It is open for guests at the present time.

cool

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Paula Clough

by Ken Task -
Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers
The Coloodle Moodle has been moved to another home. Sorry for lack of notification ... un-avoidable due to hardware issue.

New home is at: http://moodle.tcea.org/coloodle/

Yours, in the "spirit of sharing",
Ken

by Chad Parmentier -
Hello,

If any K-12 teachers would like to use moodle but are just getting into it, I will host your class for free and help you with materials. My Moodle site is well designed and has many custom components. Don't pay for cheap hosting offered by people who know very little about k-12 instructional design. I only ask that k-12 not discriminate and turn moodle into a political battleground. My Moodle is open and free. I will also make moodle available to k-12 teachers who are blocked. I am real tired of k-12 school screwing up good technology that helps kids. If you would like to see the site it is at http://www.virtuallanguagearts.org and you may contact me via cparment@chartermi.net

I also have a lot of materials i.e Examview test banks, Prentice Hall digital textbooks, and lots of embedded audio books and video.