Wishing for a wish-list forum

Wishing for a wish-list forum

by mandy honeyman -
Number of replies: 4
Dear Martin,

I love everything moodle, but I wish that there was a forum, near the developer forum, that was specifically a wish-list discussion.

At the moment it seems to me as though discussions about desirable features are all over the shop and it becomes very difficult for newbies like myself to discover/track whether features have been discussed, rejected, accepted etc or even sometimes whether they already exist and one is just being a little dumb! (see W Page response to my question.)

The general dev forum seems to be where quite a lot of wishes appear, but again they seem difficult to track and shouldn't this be somewhere where  actual development is discussed?

I realise that there is something over in cvs but, I believe, it starts with bugs(?), therefore it's not immediately obvious that this is the place to go (and it requires signing up etc.) Hey, maybe you're just trying to discourage ad-hoc wishes (understandable) but please would you still consider.

cheers
Mandy

Average of ratings: -
In reply to mandy honeyman

Re: Wishing for a wish-list forum

by Martin Dougiamas -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Documentation writers Picture of Moodle HQ Picture of Particularly helpful Moodlers Picture of Plugin developers Picture of Testers
To be honest, the existing wish list that I want to implement is already a couple of years long (in the future) so personally I'm not dying for another thousand of them.  ;)

The official place for them is the bug tracker (<-- click that link).

Unfortunately, the forums are hard to keep on-topic, as people have a habit of posting their wishes in just about every second post in every forum.  So I see forums as the chaotic breeding ground from which the best ideas get into the bug tracker eventually.

One of my own long-standing wishes is to implement the bug tracker within Moodle as a sort of forum to make it more accessible.. wink
In reply to Martin Dougiamas

by Dennis Daniels -
I was wondering if the bug tracker code shares the same base as Moodle? And if yes, could the table head sorting be ported over into Moodle's own display tables?

thanks for a great app!

Dennis
In reply to Dennis Daniels

by Timothy Takemoto -

The bug tracker has long been a quandry for me.

I am tempted, no I have lost to the temptation, to say that the bugtracker highlights a problem with social constructivism.

As seen on these forums, social constructivism would have us be open. Openness on the part of learners, such as in about who learners are (hence the requirement for self introductions) , openness from teachers, (hence in the requirement for resource descriptions, and the reticence toward activity linking), openness on the part of adminstratros hence the discussion regarding editing posts to forums.

However, learners are like Martin. They have a thousand, thousand things that they would like to improve. Hence they would rather keep that list of things-to-be-done, under control, not have it expand beyond their capability.

Learners often want to remain closed, concealed, to hide their mistakes, to keep their creations away from the socius.

I think that arch social construitivists alike share this tendency to limit openness, perhaps. 
I have long wanted to subscribe to the bugtracker, to see bugs being reported, and cured in real time. I have just found out about the Moodle-cvs mailing list. Recommended.

Tim