URGENT- administrator overriden by guest, and can't get in

URGENT- administrator overriden by guest, and can't get in

by Sue Espinoza -
Number of replies: 3
I'm leading a course where teachers are learning to teach on Moodle, by teaching (and managing) their own units.

At the end of her teaching unit, one teacher moved went into ASSIGN ROLES and moved everyone over into GUEST status. That included me, and since GUEST seems to override ADMINISTRATOR, I can't get into the course. Each time I try, even going from the logs, I get the following:

Sorry, 'Chapters 1 and 2: The What, When and How of D.E.' does not allow guests to enter.

What can I do to get in, so I can change the role assignments (so that I am not a GUEST)?

As you can imagine, I'm desperate, and telling the other teachers to not go near ASSIGN ROLES in their classes until I give specific instructions and am there. smile

Thanks for assistance. smile

--Sue Espinoza
Average of ratings: -
In reply to Sue Espinoza

Re: URGENT- administrator overriden by guest, and can't get in

by Paula Clough -

Sue,

If you are an administrator on the site instead of  just the class, you should be able to get in.  If you don't have the admin login, check with your tech people to see who has it and can get it fixed for you. If they don't want you to have site admin role, they can go in and change you in the course itself. Then you can go in and change everyone else. 

Paula Clough cool

In reply to Paula Clough

Re: URGENT- administrator overriden by guest, and can't get in

by Sue Espinoza -
Thanks, Paula, that's what I thought. Since I am the site admin, I figured there would be no problem -- wrong. sad Under Site Administration --> Users --> Permissions --> Assign roles, I'm listed as Administrator, and I am not listed as Guest.

I've wondered if I could go into Site Administration --> Users --> Permissions --> Define roles --> Guest, and if there would be something I could change briefly to let myself get in to remove me from Guest in the offending class. Then I would go back out and reset the permissions -- but I can't figure what might work, and I definitely do not want to mess everything else up.

We're still using 1.7, if that helps with troubleshooting.

Any other ideas, anyone, please... smile

--Sue
In reply to Sue Espinoza

SOLVED - Re: URGENT- administrator overriden by guest, and can't get in

by Sue Espinoza -
Situation solved. It appears that the problem was that the only access to the course (where everyone had been made a guest) was a link to the "course" that was blocking access. From the main course, I created a link into the first page of the closed course, bypassing the initial screen, and it took me right into the course. I immediately went in and moved myself and the teachers out of Guest status. Needless to say, everyone has been told to not go anywhere near Assign Roles unless I'm there to tell them exactly what to do. smile

But all's working -- hope this helps someone else... smile

--Sue