(Version 1.82+)Deleting Multiple Resources One At A Time

(Version 1.82+)Deleting Multiple Resources One At A Time

by Bob Moffitt -
Number of replies: 10

(I posted this in another forum but got no response. Hoping to get a response from this area. Sorry for the Triple post)

Hi All,

Is there a way to delete or move around multiple resources from within a course in "one action" instead of having to delete the resource "one by one"? We are at version 1.82+. I have been putting off an upgrade to 1.95+ for the time being to see if there is a resolution for this in our current version. Here is an explanation from one of our faculty members:

"When you go on to your course (particularly at the end of the year) and you want to either pull down or move around multiple resources (these consist of documents, powerpoints, links, etc)… right now, you have to do it one-by-one. This means that simply to delete all of the resources from this past year, I’ll have to click, wait for reload, click again something like 220 times! Clicking… clicking… clicking…" and it is a true pain.

If I knew an upgrade of the 1.82 software would do the trick I would do the upgrade. I just did not want to do the upgrade just for the sake of doing it and then realizing after the upgrade the same issue is present. Does anyone know if there is a solution for this in 1.82 or 1.95?

My preference would be to stay at 1.82 for now if there is a solution.  Sorry for my desperation.  I'm hoping someone here could offer some insight on this.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Average of ratings: -
In reply to Bob Moffitt

Re: (Version 1.82+)Deleting Multiple Resources One At A Time

by Elena Ivanova -
Hi Bob,
Sorry to say, but Moodle does not have an option for doing so.
One small thing that can help - enable AJAX in Site Administration > Miscellaneous and then activate it in your own profile. It will make the process a little faster, though more dangerous since it is easy to delete something useful by mistake.

(p.s. our faculty do not re-use course shells, they get new ones and then Import only needed content there for the new semester)

Average of ratings: Useful (1)
In reply to Elena Ivanova

by Bob Moffitt -

Hi Elena,

Thank you very much for the reply.  If I enable AJAX from the Site Administration>Miscellaneous, I assume when the faculty user logs in he will be prompted to enable this.  Is this correct?  Please confirm.

Thanks,

Bob

In reply to Bob Moffitt

by Elena Ivanova -
Nope, it will not.
So the user has to go to his profile and set "AJAX and Javascript" to Yes. Then the drag-and-drop feature will be activated, once he goes to the course and clicks Turn Editing on button.
I would recommend to test it first, may be you will not like the option smile

by Bob Moffitt -

Elena,

Thanks...This has been very helpful.

Bob

by Bob Moffitt -

Elena,

You made our faculty real happy smile This was exactly what our faculty was looking for.  This works great.

Thanks a bunch!

Bob

In reply to Bob Moffitt

by Elena Ivanova -
cool deal smile
Just wanted to give you another tip:
If your faculty will have large amounts of text in Labels and will try to drag items around in order to change their location, sometimes their changes will not be saved.
If it happens, they should switch off AJAX in their profiles, and move those labels the regular way.

by Bob Moffitt -
Ok...Thanks for that tip. I'll pass it along.
In reply to Bob Moffitt

by Elena Ivanova -
P.s. We have developed a hack for ver 1.9.5+, build 20090604, which allows to perform mass (bulk) actions on items; delete, hide, show and move.
Available here in the Modules and Plugins database (I think it needs to be approved first, so you can use direct URL too)

by Benjamin Peters -

Hello Elana,

I have tried to search for the plugin you have described but i cannot find it. Do you have a URL?

thanks in advance.

Ben

by Daniel Costa -
Hi Elena,

Where can I find detailed instructions on how to install the patch? I downloaded the zip from the tracker but it's not clear to me where to install the files. I would like to know how to change the format.php , where to insert the code from the patch. I found difficult to understand the txt file. Could you give me some advice?