Quizport and secure window

Quizport and secure window

by robert maran -
Number of replies: 1

Hi Gordon

I have been noticing that there are some students ( currently using hotpotatoes) who are opening 2 windows at once and are "cheating" by using one window as their practice one to find out the right answers and then the other window to put in the correct answers.These students are often seen not even to bother to listen to a listening exercise or watch a video and just haphazardly click away until a correct answer appears. I know one possible solution to this would be to change the settings from "highest score"/ "unlimited attempts" to something else, but I want to let students do any quiz as many times as they like, but at the same time try and instill some accountablity in their quiz attempts. I was wondering whether it is possible or will be possible in the future to add a secure window feature to quizport? (something like moodle quiz has now).

Cheers

Robert

Average of ratings: -
In reply to robert maran

Re: Quizport and secure window

by Gordon Bateson -
Picture of Core developers Picture of Peer reviewers Picture of Plugin developers
Hi Robert,

> I want to let students do any quiz as many times as they like,
> but at the same time try and instill some accountablity

You have ingenious students! I don't think you can achieve your goal with technology alone.

It would be possible to replicate the "secure" window that the Quiz module has - indeed we are halfway there already, because you can have a QuizPort display in a new popup window without any controls. However even if you use a "secure" window, I am sure your students would quickly realize that if they open another browser window they can initiate another quiz attempt from there (in another "secure" window) and you would be back to the situation you are currently in.

The only way to stop them looking a several quiz attempts at once is to limit the number of quiz attempts to 1.

How about give them free access to several preparatory quizzes and set up a final quiz to allow only one attempt and be weighted to 50% of the unit grade, while the the earlier quizzes are set to "Equal weighting". Just before the final quiz, you can insert an html page which says something like:
  • Well done for getting this far you have only one more quiz to do
  • You will only have one attempt at the next quiz
    and it will count for 50% of the grade for this activity
  • Click "Continue" when you are ready to begin
You can also put an explanatory html page or two at the beginning of the chain to explain the methodology of the unit and that in order to do well on the final quiz, it is important to not only find the answers on the earlier quizzes, but to understand why the correct answers are correct.

If your final quiz is a JQuiz with a few questions selected from a large bank of questions, then even if several of them are looking at the final quiz they will all have different questions so they will all have to think for themselves, which sounds like your intention !

regards
Gordon